What is the maximum tooth sprocket you could fit on the back using a Deore DX rear derailleur?

I lived in Sheffield for a year or two at the very top of Crookes, cycling around there and 40 plus miles around the peak district every Wednesday meant I no longer regarded any hill as insurmountable. I also used to cycle to Altrincham every w'end to see my girflriend and that meant going up Winnats pass from Castleton on a tourer with panniers - again mind over matter. FWIW there was a lad in the Wednesday cycling club who rode a fixie the whole distance and kept up with us all - mad.

I think everyone bought a bike during lockdown leading to stock shortages, manufacturers then upped production and retaillers stocked up and then everyone went back to work and stopped using their bikes. We've now got an excess stock, plus loads of used bikes for sale situtation so the market is flooded.

I think everyone bought a bike during lockdown leading to stock shortages, manufacturers then upped production and retaillers stocked up and then everyone went back to work and stopped using their bikes. We've now got an excess stock, plus loads of used bikes for sale situtation so the market is flooded.
That only accounts for contemporary bikes though doesn't it because manufacturers stopped making these retro bikes decades ago!

To an extent, but if you got into retrobiking during lockdown, and now have no time for it, you might also be selling now. Disposable incomes/cost of living may be a factor, but that steers too close to a politics discussion that I have very little facts to back up, or understanding of.

Back on topic, I did try a Microshift 9 speed cassette with a wide range which worked fine with a hanger extender and LX M570 rear mech, but found myself not using anything other than the first 3 cogs, so I've ditched it and gone back to a normal cassette.

Just about any bike was saleable four years ago. All kinds of bikes have ended up sitting in sheds/garages and ended up on the market.

Back on topic, I did try a Microshift 9 speed cassette with a wide range which worked fine with a hanger extender and LX M570 rear mech, but found myself not using anything other than the first 3 cogs, so I've ditched it and gone back to a normal cassette.
Are those the 40-42t cassettes? Also I am not familiar with that mech either, being new to the scene, is that an older one of a similar period to deore dx or sometime later?

Reality is 34T, that's what we punched them too BiTD, and there where larger (just).

Drop the front to a 24T, and if you get it cheap then middle to a 36T and you have a good range.
8 or 9speed at the back at a later date with 11/32T 11/34T

The dinner plate cogs are for tooth counts around 30T at the front and one or two ring at the front (2 rings if you also want the higher speed and like to pedal at that speed.)

That's it, one of these cassettes specifically, the LX mech is from the very late 90s-early 2000s. I can't remember where I got the hanger extended from, its just a cheap one. Factor in the longer chain as well though.

1725368192873.png

The rear mech? No clue, it was just what I had in the parts box that looked to have a decent cage length. I didnt buy it deliberately for the job. I suppose it'll be the long cage version that the web describes as 85mm.

Back