What is the maximum tooth sprocket you could fit on the back using a Deore DX rear derailleur?

2/3+2/3 is not as long as a hanger with an extender added. But using an Xacto hobby saw you can cut opposite ends off of 2 hangers and make a longer one. The DIY idea looks good except a lot of hangers are thinner in some places, which is a little harder to DIY.
But yes 40t with just a longer B screw.
Here it is in action (my video skills suck)
50tx11-40t 8 speed cassette with Rapid Rise XTR mid cage, RR Revoshifter, and zip tied cassette to activate the front freewheel in the motor.
2004 Gary Fisher Solstice comfort bike with lots of MTB rated upgrades + the motor.
There are reports of Shimano Zee M640 short cage derailleurs doing this also. You need the Freeride version, not the DH model.
The shift ratio ended up the same as SRAM 1:1 so 8/9 speed with SRAM shifters is on the menu also. This means 9 speed twist shifters can be used. Clutch type deraillleur with no plastic bits if you want to update an older bike. SRAM 11 speed gipshifter work with these and the SLX mid cage also.
I have the mid cage SLX on my XC bike with SRAM 11s gripshifter. I own the Zee but might ship it off to my brother in NYC for stress testing. Keeping the derailleur out of the spokes is more of an issue for him.
The video didn't show anything regarding the 2/3+2/3 hanger. Still don't understand what that is tbh.

Back