What is the best chain tensioning method?

lclements

Old School Hero
Feedback
View
Hey, I'm looking to get a chain tensioner for my SS build, however I'm wondering what the best device to get is. DCD Mr Crud, do they work well? Or should I go for something sprung from either chainstay or mech hanger?

Luke

+1 on that, I've used the same tensioner on 3 bikes with zero problems - just don't over tension the spring as it can break - people tend to think it has to be super tight, but just consider the tension in a typical rear derailleur and aim for something similar.

SS purists often cast derision on tensioners, but they have several advantages over magic gear or 1/2 link solutions, not the least of which is being able to change your gearing without adding or removing chain links.

The best is probably this.

Failing that, a non-sprung (ie fixed) tensioner (Gussett Bachelor or similar) fitted to the rear mech hanger. Just make sure that you have it configured to push up.

Thanks everyone :)
I will take a look at that ebay link later, and I will probs go for a sprung one then.
Next question is does anyone have one I can buy?

Luke

the_duke":lojjq21s said:
I always fancied trying a ghost ring if I was going to go single speed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDyObKloVrI

Done that.. if you can get the ring in the right spot on the chain it's sweet as a nut, looks cool too..
Until it is (in the right place), the 'ting ting' of ring on road may be a common sound ;)

At least that was what I put it down to anyway. . . .

Latest posts

Back