what if...?

some of us oldies of a particularly stubborn disposition made a decision early on to eschew suspension forks, press-fit anything and especially disk brakes. mind you, at the same time, I wouldn't go back to cotter pins, there is still progress after all.
same goes for cars, automatic electronic hand brakes are vastly inferior to a proper mechanical hand brake - yet we are all forced to have them now and as far stupidly heavy DSG gear boxes and cars without a gear shift lever. Don't even get me started on EVs - ghastly chinese rabbit hutches full of 2 tons of duracells and piloted by virtue signaling zealots who couldnt me more wrong about emissions and where they are generated. We live in a world where people invent solutions for problems that dont exist and who find all sorts of ways to justify their invention that dont hold water when properly examined. not immediately solvable by forums like this one alas
Yikes…touched a nerve…but you raise some very good points - on handbrakes, I drive in the Alps at lot in the winter and avoids cars with e-handbrakes. Then, the point you raise over the origins of energy used to charge EVs is indeed a big issue and the consequences of rare earths in batteries, plus poor recycling are also real issues. While this forum by itself is a minority sport, many of us are connected with organisations where influential policy is being made, so I personally really welcome discussion, however heated, but welcome particularly discussions of evidence and research. I agree that many new ‘innovations and leaps forward’ just aren’t, some of them really are steps backwards….

Yikes…touched a nerve…but you raise some very good points - on handbrakes, I drive in the Alps at lot in the winter and avoids cars with e-handbrakes. Then, the point you raise over the origins of energy used to charge EVs is indeed a big issue and the consequences of rare earths in batteries, plus poor recycling are also real issues. While this forum by itself is a minority sport, many of us are connected with organisations where influential policy is being made, so I personally really welcome discussion, however heated, but welcome particularly discussions of evidence and research. I agree that many new ‘innovations and leaps forward’ just aren’t, some of them really are steps backwards….
I sometimes wonder if we would make a bigger difference to emissions if cars were forced back to their 1970s dimensions! Imagine how much manufacturing energy would be saved ; steel, plastics, rubber, rare earth elements; if every single vehicle was 10 to 20 % smaller ?

Back