what if...?

argonsixar

Retro Guru
For over fifty years we had just lived with disc brake bikes and they worked just fine but with a few niggles around setting up and servicing them.

Then someone with vision came up with a product that saved weight (500 grams per bike), cheaper , easier to install, could be tweaked easily on the road and didn't need special tools to service or install. Top that with, performance in most conditions is on a par. The marketing boys would be all over it !

I give you .....

RIM Brakes.

For over fifty years we had just lived with disc brake bikes and they worked just fine but with a few niggles around setting up and servicing them.

Then someone with vision came up with a product that saved weight (500 grams per bike), cheaper , easier to install, could be tweaked easily on the road and didn't need special tools to service or install. Top that with, performance in most conditions is on a par. The marketing boys would be all over it !

I give you .....

RIM Brakes.
There would be all these stuck in the muds on bike forums complaining it isn't weather proof, you have to replace rims, and it just doesn't look right.. 😛

Seriously though, I like your thinking a lot and I can see the market returning to rim brakes.

What if
you could glue your really light tyres to a really light rim and just rip em off and replace them with a new one when they punctured ?
I bet the marketing boys could sell them too !

Let's put the rider in a box, on a comfy chair, and give him an engine!

(p.s. he definitely won't want rim brakes then! - my disc braked bike is faster than my rim braked racer in many situations because altho it is significantly heavier, I can hold on to much more speed because the stopping distance is about 1/4. It's hilly, it's rainy, the road surfaces are often poor)

Latest posts

Back