What high end late '80's mavic rims ?

Early 80's it had to be gp4's for racing and ma40's for training. Check planetX for cheap ma40's. Mark

hi i had campagnolo strada hardox with campag hubs back in the day late 80's early 90's.
cheers dave

interesting reading those replies. i was an avid roadie at the time and knew everything about everything as i worked, rode and breathed cycling back then!

for a late 80s top end italian bike, then there was no question that it would have been fitted with ambrosio metamorphosis or campagnolo record strada or pave rims - sprint rims for tubular tyres, of course. and 32 hole rims at that.

the "Wired on" rims that were around back then were not fitted to purpose built italian imports. we built many hundreds of both italian and british top end road bikes back then and the MA40 was the standard option as most non competitive customers didn't want to get involved with glueing on tubs. the wolber rims (or "wobbler" as the non educated called them!) were a cheaper alternative and some even asked for F.I.R or ambrosio anodised wired on rims.

anyway, bottom line is if it's a top end bike of that era you're building then it's gotta be a nice pair of sprint rims:- mavic gp4, GL330, SSC or ambrosio if it's an italiano!

tyre levers? glue and patches? chalk and sandpaper?!

MA40? weren't they the ugly wee brother of the G40?!

what's a michelin hi lite?!! those were the dreadful bald tyres that very few pro teams and TONS of rank amateurs used and mostly to their DOWNFALL!! horrendous for wet bends and icy conditions!!

my poor ageing hips are creaking at the thought...

:LOL:

Thanks for all the replies, I've made a decision. Well I've narrowed down the choice :LOL:
The frame is my '89 master piu that I intend to build with c record so of course it has to be the ambrosio's or campag's. I see that campag omegas were around that era and are a nice aero shape, but it'll come down to what's around when I can afford it !

Cheers ;)

nice choice! either would be great on that bike. the ambrosio's were for out and out italian built bikes (ie not a groupset that was added to a frame in a british bike shop but a bike that was actually hand built IN italy and shipped overseas COMPLETE).

you used to see them advertised in the likes of Winning Magazine with those rims on. oh and of course, my beloved La Vie Claire team used nothing less that ambrosio on their bikes. keep a saved search on ebay. it'll probably be a europe-wide search as they are like hens' teeth these days. usa items are usually HIDEOUSLY overpriced, the greedy so and so's that they are!! :shock:

good luck!

rusty

nice choice! either would be great on that bike. the ambrosio's were for out and out italian built bikes (ie not a groupset that was added to a frame in a british bike shop but a bike that was actually hand built IN italy and shipped overseas COMPLETE).

you used to see them advertised in the likes of Winning Magazine with those rims on. oh and of course, my beloved La Vie Claire team used nothing less that ambrosio on their bikes. keep a saved search on ebay. it'll probably be a europe-wide search as they are like hens' teeth these days. usa items are usually HIDEOUSLY overpriced, the greedy so and so's that they are!! :shock:

good luck!

rusty

ps make sure that you check the decals on the rims when you find them - the ones pictured here on my bike are the period mid-late 80s rims. there were other later rims with horrible "white cloud" effect decals. not good and definately don't give the awesome "- - GREEN-FLASH- -" effect when you're riding!

rims.jpg

Thanks for the pics and info ;)
The mavic knowledge I now have will be used to good effect on another build if it comes off :D

Shawn.

Back