What do you think?

cornholio's RC200

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Got knocked off the bike on the way home tonight :(

Had a quick look over it and spotted this on the headtube. Have I got a basket case? What do you think?

IMGP1498.jpg

IMGP1500.jpg

looks like garage queen from now. perhaps remove the paint and look at the bare metal

Aye, removing the paint is a good start. I'm trying to mind what kind of NDE you can do for alloys. There'll be something.

Worst case is its cracked: You could possibly get it re-welded or/and add a gusset. I would probably try and find a framebuilder who works with alloy tubing and get an experts opinion.

Some of the RDS guys might have had this before, could be worth a shout.

Hard to say until the paint is off. Wouldn't give up hope on it yet though.

Must have been a fair dunt though was it? Pretty tough frames. You're ok i'm assuming then.

Definitely strip it. You need dye penetrant to check for cracks. Yellow pages 'non destructive testing'.

Hopefully you have the driver's details?

Feeling a bid sad more than sore here - I'm OK.

I do have the driver's details so he'll be getting a phone call in the morning. A front wheel ding as well so that will need a tweak.

It was indeed a large impact; it was one of those "surely he's not pulling out" type moments and I had very little time to brake. A combination of torrential rain and knobblies meant that I just slid into him. Fully lit up (Electrons etc) but he just didn't see me.

Gutted :cry:

I will investigate NDT but only after I see if I can get something from him. I've done a bit of UV crack detection before so I have some experience of it. As it is I seem to be getting some discharge from the area anyway that could be water/oil from the inside of the tube migrating out.

What's the going rate for an A1 condition 856 frame these days?

take the bike to a bike shop, IE a 3rd party. get them to check it over & right up a new for old policy of damaged parts that need replacing. then when you contact the driver you're prepared with something other than just your verdict.

If it has fractured the paint on the top there will be compression damage on the downtube, even if the top tube could be welded or patched the head angle will be out. When my Maverick was crunched by a friend the forks folded back and downtube rippled underneath as well as cracking the toptube at the weld.

Carl.

that's tough man but glad you are ok... i hate to take it to this level but here i go. I am sure that they feel "really bad" but the fact of the matter is that drivers, for what ever reason, don't/can't/refuse-to/were not taught to SEE US. so in this case although they probably don't feel awesome they wrecked your bike and more importantly hurt you and, luckily for them and you, you weren't hurt as much as you could have been. We need to be seen! Drivers need to start "seeing" us. so screw her insurance premiums you need to be compensated for BEING HIT BY A FREAKING CAR!!!!!!!! sorry but this just got me thinking.

Back