What do you think of Shimano ditching rim brakes in 105 and higher?

Not referencing the original bike I posted? The steel one, with the conventional seatpost 😜

View attachment 805214

Thing is, we can kind of predict what will happen. The days of a long lasting frame hanging bits off from what seemed / was an eternity are dead and buried. It will only take one GCN+++++ review and a few pros to upgrade to a new standard 165mm disk standard and that frame is potentially useless and reduced to going the corner shop in the eyes of racer boys. The next thing will be something like a 165mm rotor because hell, that is something not interchangeable with MTB and if that happens today according to the industry the Ozone layer will crack in three and we won't be feeling all optimal essentially doing very similar riding we did all those years ago.

Last edited:
a 50 year old frame I can fit brand new parts to if I wanted to - every build so far ends up that way seemingly

*its just had brand new Continental tubs fitted btw

1703189785058.png

hay look, a ****, grab it before it gets away. No sorry, it's not mine, I have no more to give.

My fast bike (a Forme longcliffe) runs calipers.
My winter bike (A coyote, something) runs discs.
My pink monster (GT Average lance) runs discs.
My carlton GP, thats calipers
My inbred, oh no, that's disc.

**** it, ride what the hell you want, neither technology is going anywhere anytime soon. from the point of view of longevity, discs win, you ain't replacing a rim when the braking surface is done, from a rose tinted, rim brakes are great. As long as they stop you, is it really (REALLY) worth the fuss.

Ride it, enjoy it, occasionally clean it and most of all **** IT.

hay look, a ****, grab it before it gets away. No sorry, it's not mine, I have no more to give.

My fast bike (a Forme longcliffe) runs calipers.
My winter bike (A coyote, something) runs discs.
My pink monster (GT Average lance) runs discs.
My carlton GP, thats calipers
My inbred, oh no, that's disc.

**** it, ride what the hell you want, neither technology is going anywhere anytime soon. from the point of view of longevity, discs win, you ain't replacing a rim when the braking surface is done, from a rose tinted, rim brakes are great. As long as they stop you, is it really (REALLY) worth the fuss.

Ride it, enjoy it, occasionally clean it and most of all **** IT.

My discs are 700c. 🖕

not yet worn through a wheel rim yet but have seen plenty go. Mavic crossmax always seemed a bit soft

have had plenty of worn discs though, which has been frustrating when trying get brakes to bed in properly

not yet worn through a wheel rim yet but have seen plenty go. Mavic crossmax always seemed a bit soft

have had plenty of worn discs though, which has been frustrating when trying get brakes to bed in properly

Had it on the MTB side a few times. Fair enough.

A good solid 700c rim like Mavic A719 or even A319 just lasts. It would probably die in a pile-up rather than wear statistically speaking.

Ceramic rims just last too, but are a fickle thing with brake pad selection.

Back