What do you think of Shimano ditching rim brakes in 105 and higher?

I am not sure buying NOS is now a solution for unavailable parts. Even though a lot of my stuff is indeed NOS because I prefer them, I don't think a market of sporadically available parts where prices are getting higher every year is a reliable parts market for everyone but hardcore retrobikers.

I would go for a custom built frame because I want to avoid having to use disc brakes.

I say this not so much to argue, but to suggest there are more ways of looking at this.

High quality items will be available for decades. Go have a look on eBay, there are still NOS brake sets available from the 90s and earlier.

I find it hard to believe that anyone building a new custom frame is going to spec anything other than disc brakes.
Well your having none of my argument, so I'm out!

On the other hand, for the serious road rider 105 is just entry level.
Go and look in the team area at the average continental race (not UCI teams). Most of the riders (who are pros) are on 105.
It's only UCI teams that run the top stuff, largely because it's supplied by the manufacturers....and of course us consumer schmucks.

I am not sure buying NOS is now a solution for unavailable parts. Even though a lot of my stuff is indeed NOS because I prefer them, I don't think a market of sporadically available parts where prices are getting higher every year is a reliable parts market for everyone but hardcore retrobikers.

I would go for a custom built frame because I want to avoid having to use disc brakes.

I say this not so much to argue, but to suggest there are more ways of looking at this.
+1 for no discs and other ways to view.

Boxed ultegra calipers and levers, circa 1997. Found in seconds on a quick eBay search. I am sure there are thousands more kicking about.

If you have the money and inclination for a custom frame with rim brakes in the next 30 years, you will not struggle to find parts to hang off it.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I have no idea who John is, but this is his custom bike (I’ve picked on Saffron because I love Matthew’s work and when I grow up I’ll order a frame from him).

Custom steel tubing, lightweight, super clean with no calipers ruining the top lines. Why would you spec rim brakes when discs allow bikes to be so beautiful and uncluttered.

John, whoever you are, your bike is stunning.

I have no idea who John is, but this is his custom bike (I’ve picked on Saffron because I love Matthew’s work and when I grow up I’ll order a frame from him).

Custom steel tubing, lightweight, super clean with no calipers ruining the top lines. Why would you spec rim brakes when discs allow bikes to be so beautiful and uncluttered.

John, whoever you are, your bike is stunning.
Because I think discs suck, simples.

Latest posts

Back