What do you hate seeing on a gorgeous retro bike?

Feel your hate, people... ;) (load of Sith in the making).

Personally I find it's all about the context: something that looks hideous on one bike can look smashing on another.

Only thing I have a slight problem with is long ahead stems with lots of rise. I know the reasons. I know they're hugely sensible. But they just look nasty to me (get a bigger bike ;) )

While I'm guilty of many of the above and couldn't give a toss, none of mine enter Bike Of the Month for that reason.

But what stops me voting on a candidate for BoTM is poor cable setup, too long or too short, it just irritates me when they put so much work in to other parts of the bike and it enters the rear mech at an angle as it's cut too short o loops from the top tube to seat stay/seat tube with a double bend if avoidable. Just poor poor poor. < shakes head in hand>

This is especially true for rBoTM where the attention to detail seems to need to be much higher as the critique seems to be a lot harsher.

1. the canti hanger rule, if it's there you must use it.
2. no theme on the build, meaning stuff just doesn't match
3. single speed on non single speed frames, please stop it, it looks so bad.
4. defo the lock hung somewhere on the bike ruining the paint pisses me off.
5. defo agree with the riser bar on negative stem thing.
6. saddle bags, hate them.
7. miss matched tyres, meaning brand as opposed to front and rear

other than this i can live with most things, i don't mind substituting certain modern parts like tyres/rims/grips/bars as i see these as safety items that need to be in good condition, i don't trust 20 year old bars on some of the stuff we ride so i think it is sensible to use newer bars for example.

canti hanger rule is purely aesthetic. meaning i think it looks crap if unused!

i like seeing a theme on a build, matching groupset, brands, colour, era, whatever as long as there is a theme. i don't like the 'parts box whatever will do' build.

high end old school frames that people decide they want to build as single speed is awful. please just buy a specific frame with horizontal drop outs and leave the nice old frame to someone else who will build it properly!

not being able to justify your build, i know you shouldn't necessarily have to but if someone does come along and asks 'why did you do that?' then you should beable to defend the reasons for your choices.

:)

amedias":1yo0i8e5 said:
oh yes, white saddles!

burn them all, modern or retro!

Really?? :shock: Bit harsh...

PB120101.jpg

FluffyChicken":1c1vkl4k said:
While I'm guilty of many of the above and couldn't give a toss, none of mine enter Bike Of the Month for that reason.

But what stops me voting on a candidate for BoTM is poor cable setup, too long or too short, it just irritates me when they put so much work in to other parts of the bike and it enters the rear mech at an angle as it's cut too short o loops from the top tube to seat stay/seat tube with a double bend if avoidable. Just poor poor poor. < shakes head in hand>

This is especially true for rBoTM where the attention to detail seems to need to be much higher as the critique seems to be a lot harsher.

Actually - bad set-up irritates me too. Hate seeing a bike that has obviously just been put together by someone who knows where the bits go but not nessarily what they do. Saddles, seat posts, brake levers, etc, all at bizaree angles.

Ooooh - spacers under stems as well. God that irritates me. Again, as with my riser stem argument: understand entirely why you might want to but just looks hideous. Sorry about that. Just does. Sorry.

I must be in the minority as I don't mind SS setups as long as the derailleur hanger isn't shaved off.

Everybody rides differently and if you have the fitness and muscles for ss, more power to you. :p

suburbanreuben":flms1r8q said:
Blimey! :shock:
Listen to you retro fascists! :p
Sorry, but I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry. :roll:

I'm (fairly) sure no one's actually taking it that seriously...

But at the end I am going to construct the Ultimate Offensive Build, and quite possibly build it, some would say not for the first time... :p :LOL: :twisted:

*it still won't have risers

Really?? Bit harsh...

not at all!

cos look at it, it's not a white saddle at all, it's a *dirty* white saddle, and that just looks manky, same with white grips, they are fine for all of 3 nanoseconds before you put your mits and arse on them and then BANG! dirty white...eeeeugh!

<confession>

I have an irrational hatred for white components

</confession>

Back