What didn't you know about Retrobikes that you now do?

I wasn’t too aware of many brands in the early nineties. Mainly the british side of stuff. heavily onto Orange because of my old man being Halifax born and bread, GT, Marin, Pace and Alpinestars- having a distributional centre 3 miles from me in Portskewitt!
But more exotic stuff I didn’t really have a clue, SAN Andreas was probably the first one of note (exotic), same probably applied with my mates back then too! Repack, Fisher, Cunningham and stuff didn’t really ever enter my consciousness back then :facepalm:

Just about everything! From reading CK's book to being told first hand about the 1986 Man v Horse attendees shaping what was being ridden for the next decade.

Sure, I could fix a bike and restore old road bikes (well, they were old to me in 1989) and MTBs after all but destroying my own but had no idea of their history

Everything!

Re:

Well, my interest in Retro Bikes only started a little over a year ago & I knew nothing, in the company of many of you here I really still know nothing, however, the little bit of knowledge I have picked up is purely from you guys on this forum.

So the answer to the question is - Everything.

Thanks to those I have had the pleasure of meeting & those I haven't but have had help from.
Happy Christmas & Happy New Year... :xmas-wink:

Cheers Guys... :xmas-big-grin:

velomaniac":1wy8c6r9 said:
To be frank BITD if it was not available in a local bike shop I did not know about it.

Exactly, mtb magazines were for reading & dreaming, the LBS was the place for buying real parts for your bike.

velomaniac":1wy8c6r9 said:
Anything exotic or high end has only been made known to me by Retrobike.

I do remember sering the advertising for "exotic" parts back then, but never actually saw those parts in use in the real world, its only since joining Retrobike that I've seen bikes bejewelled with Grafton, Ringle etc etc... :LOL:

I should note that growing up in Yorkshire I saw a fair bit of Pace & Orange, which was just "normal stuff" 'cause it was local and regularly seen at local races etc.

Re:

I was a huge fan of American bikes back in the day and was a regular reader of Mountain Bike Action, so I know a lot more about American bikes than I do British so over the last few years on here I have been educated on the likes of Dave Yates, Orange etc. I suppose living near Dalby Forest, Pace are the only British bikes that I really had exposure to BITD

legrandefromage":39dosy5g said:
Just about everything!

Amen. I learnt pretty much everything from here and used other outlets to spread the knowledge and meet even more like-minded people.

Tune
A-mazing toys.

... Never heard of them until now.

Something else I've learned, nothing to do with brands, is that it's way more easy to face plant on a retro bike!

Back in the 90s I was just a teenager, never raced, rode ALL the time outside of college/school and hung around with our biker 'gang' doing tricks etc. I knew NOTHING of the persons behind the brands etc, my entire MTB world revolved around what was for sale in the local stores we had here in Nottingham - Shockwave (did the holidays, sold lots of RM, Kona, Manitou, Marin and generally all stuff from stateside, Supercycles who mainly sold Diamondback, DDG and Baracuda and then there was Freewheel that was mainly a Trek and Fisher dealer from memory. The 90s was ALL about riding, I had no knowledge of chain-stretch and rode chains until they snapped or slipped so bad they'd miss the entire bottom 3 cogs of the block, WD40 was 'lube' etc haha!

Re:

What didn't you know about Retrobikes that you now do?

'Is it a Zaskar?'

<insert pic of aluminium GT frame>

'Yes, yes it is'

Back