What Cables for '60s Campag Bar End Shifters

loveoldbikes":3kkan6vq said:
The original cables were just like any other gear cable, but longer,
No they were not. See my previous post, the original cable inners were 49 strand extra flexible wire, spun with 7 strands of 7. I was fitting these in 1955 in the shop, after using cyclo rather poor handlebar controls from 1950.
The look was far less important than being able to change gear after riding in the pouring rain in a road race bunch for 4 hours. Believe me, a lot easier than reaching for the down tube when you could not even feel your hands.
The fewer bends and less restriction on the cable run the better.
Keith

I can only speak from 1960s, but I certainly used what appeared to be standard cables at that time. Would the 49 strand cables be the "barley twist" cables I refer to? I don't remember them being on sale before the 70s, but again that is my own experience. The important thing, as you say is to reduce friction, which is why I recommend brake outer casing as it is slightly larger diameter. What I'm suggesting is based on what is available now.

Note to users of these Campag handlebar controls - you must use a locking nut on the end of the bolt, otherwise the lever works loose. I have it on great authority from an engineer that I am talking rubbish, but again I can only speak from experience.

The 'braided' wires seemed to be a lot more flexible than the 'standard' type. Better for the rear mech at least. I've not seen any for ages. Can you still get them? When I was a lad there was only one type of outer casing and that was for brakes and, therefore by default, HB controls. This is what we used.

Talking of racing in the cold wet rain with HB controls......................

I don't remember exactly which event it was but it was an Ellesmere St Raphael CC (Shropshire) one, probably summer time (!) in '65 or '66 as no arm warmers (but lad behind has - and gloves! I were right 'ard in them days) and only a short one (40-50 miles) as I haven't got a bottle. I (sort of) remember the lad behind me, he was riding for the Macclesfield Wheelers but no idea of his name. Whether we were away as a break or chasing to get back on again no idea.

My ego favours the first option ;)

This photo only recently surfaced, found in a pile of photos an old friend was given.

Attachments

• Ellesmere RR 66.A.jpg
    Ellesmere RR 66.A.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 224
I to am fitting bar ends and am wondering on drilling the bars as mentioned before. I have some old GB bars they look like thick aluminium and must be around 70s/80s vintage.
It seems in the past it was done but now is frowned upon. I have heard lots of stories of bars snapping and horror results but never from the person who crashed. Are these urban myths? or a product of the new light thinner bars?
Like some opinion before I get my drill out.

As my previous post I would only drill TTT bars (3T) - think GB bars were made in 3 pieces as per Cinelli and would bend during use... I still drill the bars on my X bikes as I hate the feel of the cable , especially on bumpy tracks, when using ergo levers.

I first drilled my GB Ventoux's back in 1976 for bar end shifters and they're still in use almost daily with no problems whatsoever so far, I'm aware opinions on structural integrity do vary according to individual experience but a lot also can depend on how you ride as well as the quality of the bars being drilled (King Alf being a prime example of bar drillium!) some riders are a lot harder and heavier on their components than others due to their physical makeup and bike handling skills, I think the informed comments that have been given so far on this thread really add up to you having to make the decision yourself in accepting the risk if any on whether or not to drill....good luck!
Griff

rfjshepherd":2xnqth52 said:
I to am fitting bar ends and am wondering on drilling the bars as mentioned before. I have some old GB bars they look like thick aluminium and must be around 70s/80s vintage.
It seems in the past it was done but now is frowned upon. I have heard lots of stories of bars snapping and horror results but never from the person who crashed. Are these urban myths? or a product of the new light thinner bars?
Like some opinion before I get my drill out.

Thanks for the informed comments. I like bar ends, even got one on my sturmey 3 speed homage to the clubman special, but dont like the washing line from bottom of the drops. I have currently got the cable under the tape all the way and the problem is brake levers I can't find a satisfactory way to put the cable that isn't in the way.
I'll get my drill.

Just wanted to second the thanks for all the informed comments. Didn't think a post on cable would generate such response... I better be sure to post a photo when I've finally settled on my own cabling of these shifters!

Back