What bike part always fascinates you ?

Mid to late 20th century rear roadbike mechs especially italian and french marques. This is weird as I use mid and long cage mtb rear mechs but have no experience of using short cage road mechs. I also can spend ages just staring at frames, I love frames :D

Freehubs. Serviced my rear [wheel] the other day and suddenly remembered how much I love holding the skwers and cassette and spinning the rim while the freehub ticks away. Aaaaaaaaah.

Love frames as well, obviously. Also love (in a sort of love hate way) the internals of thumbies and the challenge they present when you're stripping and rebuilding - go on they say, undo that last bolt that'll send springs and gears that you'll never find again, let alone know where to put, flying around the garage [I never do]. :)

I've quite a collection of interesting rear derailleurs, particularly vintage Campag road mech's decorating the living room, along with some nice chainsets.
Also fascinated by elegant or intricately machined parts, so there's a Westpine hub, some Machine tech etc. 'Bit of an addict really :oops:

Interesting...between us that's pretty much any part of the bike is loved by someone...

Any love for seatposts and front mechs though?

I've seen some pretty good looking seatposts (Suntour XC is a personal fave), but never seen a good looking front mech. Is it me, or do they always look like a bit of an agricultural afterthought?

All the best,

Back