What bike is this - lugged aluminium frame ?

The real question is: this is the European answer to which question exactly?
But they were astonishingly expensive bikes I have to say.
I had some Sundance bikes already, in earlier years they had quite a nice portfolio.
Actually, to me those seem to be similar Asian manufactured as others, but they had been very proud about being based in Europe.
20240617_085138.jpg
The founder and boss, maybe it was just a one-man show distributor, was also involved in early days of Mountainbiking here in Germany.
Sundance Chef Klaus Stanner aus Bike 5 1994.jpg
But the brand disappeared then mid-nineties already again, or the name was only keep for cheap, crappy kids bikes.

1999,-DM (german Mark) was quite an attractive price back in time (the cheapest one came with DX), Hercules Titanal bikes had been way more expensive.
Here a pic of the Hercules Frame
Hercules Titanal10.jpg

Last edited:
Fun fact. In the German news article the guy said he had the idea for the first German bike magazine while working at a bike shop in the resort town of Garmisch in 1987. Where he saw the u.s. soldiers stationed there bringing their bikes with them.

This incidentally is the town where I work right now. Never knew that background story
Thank you for sharing thisView attachment 887934
ah, very nice.
Sundance was based in Murnau, Gally (a company building the Titanal full supspension bikes for Wheeler, Audi, themselves, etc.) in Oberrau all very close.
Regina Stiefel and her sister grow up in Garmisch too, and there had been even some of the first even internaltional Mountainbike races early 90ties there.

But that all happened in the past. Enjoy your time there.

It gets even better. Murnau is the place I will be moving to next month.. that bike seems to be something of a portend. So this bike might return to its birthplace.
the exact address is on the Sundance Ad posted the page before. To me this looks like a private house, maybe the place where Mr. Stanner lived or still lives.
Just adding to the theory that there Sundance was just a brand for bikes and dealers got those directly shipped by a distributor with a supply chain from typical places like Taiwan.

Back