Wanted: Vitus 992 50/52cms Frame+Fork Anodised finish

Re:

Brilliant choice, 992's were generally painted, rarely anodised, the 979 was the model that was mainly anodised.
They come up quite large size wise as a 52 is 52 cm "square " CTC not centre to top on seat tube. I've been looking for a 979 in 50cm for ages, the smallest they made and as people rode bikes "too big" for them BITD, the small size tends to command a big premium in todays market, generally £400 ish for F&F in good condition.
If your' after building a Sean Kelly replica, needs to be a 979 as I don't think he actually rode 992's, went to Concorde's later in his riding career.

Re:

Sean Kelly's famous descent of the Poggio to catch Moreno Argentin to win the 1992 Milan- San Remo was on a Vitus 992.

Re: Re:

borris4":3tc5l6wh said:
Sean Kelly's famous descent of the Poggio to catch Moreno Argentin to win the 1992 Milan- San Remo was on a Vitus 992.

Acknowledged, but it was the 979 that he rode by far and away the most.

Re: Update

Thanks for your link borris4, very nice indeed, and anodised. The modern brakes looked good too. Never could get my head around the grubscrew for a seatpost, its just a poor design in so many ways. I thought Vitus would have dropped it after superseding their 979 frames but apparently not.

An Ebay shop only just sold an excellent anodised 992 at just below £300.

I'll need to stick with 50/51 cms to get the right top tube length (520mm or so), I own a 51cm 979 from the mid-80's but the top-tube is 530mm which is awkward for me, particularly as getting a half decent looking stem at 60mm is a nightmare. I used to run 600aero kit with deep pista bars on my 979, but the stem is 90mm. With a 992 geometry I might be able to get back to the old aero kit by shortening the top-tube.

Have been having a good scour on leboncoin and some good examples come up, but no luck emailing anyone yet. Probably scared off by emails as spam/fishing, or too much trouble.

I agree about the appearance of a 60mm stem, I used on in the later pictures of my 992. Recently changed it for a Deda Murex 80mm stem which is much nicer.
Good luck with the hunt for a frame, one will appear soon!

Re: ebay

There's a 51cm 992 on eBay today, with Chorus groupset and CXP 30s.
Might be worth putting in an offer, that groupset must be worth a couple of hundred quid on its own.
https://www.ebay.ie/itm/112001396457

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re: Reply to JamieDyer

Thanks for tip. Very nice 979 there and would consider but really out to try a 992 ovoid. 979's seem easier to find and are super but looking for the slightly bigger tube diameters.

I think the French listing is wrong...it says "frame size" 53, but based on head tube size it has to ba a 49/50...but the French phrase "frame size" might mean top-tube length to Anglophiles. The smallest 979s ie those stamped 49-50-51 all had 53cm top-tubes if I remember my frame geometry chart correctly.

Cheers
M

Back