Wanted -stronglight 49d crank puller

Fixedwheelnut":3a2u4oa4 said:
I have used a 23mm TA puller on 49D cranks OK.
Maybe wrap a bit of teflon tape around it to bridge any gap?

Another alternative, nip down to your local friendly garage and ask if they might use a gear puller to extract the arms?

Just don't!
This is not a moment when you can try different methods and 'hope' for the best. The threds are quite challow and if the cranks were seated in place properly you will without doubt damage the threads.

The right puller is essential and anyone using 49D or the TA's really should have one as you can't rely on a LBS cater for outdated standards. I ordered the TA puller from kingstone0077 and it was both fast delivery, cheep and well made.

donpedro":3sgjf7xc said:
Just don't!
This is not a moment when you can try different methods and 'hope' for the best. The threds are quite challow and if the cranks were seated in place properly you will without doubt damage the threads.

The right puller is essential and anyone using 49D or the TA's really should have one as you can't rely on a LBS cater for outdated standards. I ordered the TA puller from kingstone0077 and it was both fast delivery, cheep and well made.

So those who tried a 23.35 puller and found it didn't fit a 49D (because it was too tight!) are telling stories?
I'm sure that if more than one person has found a 23mm to actually fit better than a 23.35 then there are likely to be more instances of this.

Don't be silly, what I said was to use the right one. If the chainset is properly seated and there is a little play teflon tape won't make any difference. Fit must be super tight in order not to damage the threads. Then again you may have a chainset that comes of easy and then make the assumption that a 23 work just as well...

Sorry to dredge an old thread, but does anyone have one of these I can borrow? Alternatively, does anyone want a pair of 175mm 49d (or a, will check in the morning!) and a 40 tooth TA ring before I go and post a proper ad?

Back