Vitus 992 project

So this little rebuild is pretty much complete. Here are a few WIP pictures, I'll do a little photoshoot when I have a chance.

After a bit of umming and aahing I got the bar angle somewhere I'm happy with. These Mavic 350s are pretty different to the anatomic Modolo set I had on the first iteration of this build. The ramps are long and the drops short, but I've found them more comfortable so far.

IMG_20240611_230633.jpg

I got a NOS set of PMP skewers to match the hubs and replace the Dura Ace pair I had before. Ti/Alu so super light. ;)

IMG_20240618_083235.jpg

I wire brushed and quickly polished the buttons on this old Ciussi. I like these cages, its a shame the newer ones have gone to plated plastic for the buttons.

IMG_20240618_220449.jpg

Stem looks the part - I'm very happy with how it matches the yellow on the decals and pedals.

IMG_20240618_224804.jpg

In the stand getting a final bit of polishing and tweaking.

IMG_20240618_224732.jpg

Here are a few more images of the completed rebuild....

IMG_20240619_174309.jpg

Current spec;

Frame & Fork - Vitus 992 57cm
Headset - Mavic
Seatpost - Vitus aero
Seat - Flite, perforated white, FEC alloy rails
Stem - Modolo Q Race
Bar - Mavic 350
Bartape - Velox Guidoline
Bottle cage - Elite Ciussi
Cables - Jagwire Road pro with logos removed
Brakes - Mavic 440 SSC
Front derailleur - Mavic 862
Rear derailleur - Mavic 840
Crankset - Mavic 631 172.5mm
Bottom Bracket - Mavic 610 URD 114mm
Chainrings - Mavic 53/41
Chain - KMC X9-SL 9 Speed
Shifters - Mavic 820 SSC (branded Simplex SLJ)
Cassette - Miche Primato 8 Speed
Wheels - Fir Super Rialto Grid
Hubs - PMP 8 speed Campagnolo
Skewers - PMP ti long lever type
Tires - Veloflex Master 23
Pedals - Vitus (branded Look F Arc)

Vitus992edit1.jpg

Finished earlier this summer, it is super fun to ride. stiff and very quick. Very happy with the improvements I've made - almost 'tout Mavic' now with the addition of brakes, handlebar and shifters. When I see some 440 levers for a decent price I will finally swap out the Modolo pair. The whole look of the bike is improved with the bar shape and angle, and the Flite with the black rail detail sits well I feel.

Enjoy the pictures!

IMG_20240619_174315.jpg

IMG_20240619_174431.jpg

IMG_20240619_174327.jpg

IMG_20240619_174442.jpg

IMG_20240619_174504.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful. I'm not always a fan of deeper section wheels (even when period correct, as of course these are), but they really work with this frame. And those skewers are quite something!

Did you get the Flite saddle from Condor? I noticed the other day that they sell them and I've got my eye on one for a Condor build I'm doing next year (hopefully).

Love this! Hadn't noticed the fork crown design before. Slightly envious

Beautiful. I'm not always a fan of deeper section wheels (even when period correct, as of course these are), but they really work with this frame. And those skewers are quite something!

Did you get the Flite saddle from Condor? I noticed the other day that they sell them and I've got my eye on one for a Condor build I'm doing next year (hopefully).

Thanks for the nice comments all. Yeah these wheels don't work with everything, but I'm glad you agree with my sensibilities - finding that elusive sense of balance and 'rightness' is something I really strive for with these builds.
The skewers are a bit ott! 😄 Might replace with some shorter PMPs in purple if they ever appear.

The Flite was indeed from Condor, a lovely saddle for £50!

@Mike Muz - the elegance of the way the fork and head tube casting are integrated is one of my favourite element of the 992 frames. The designers did a fine job.

I also forgot to shout out to Thomas/ @gridno27 for helping me source the brake calipers - cheers again!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back