Vitus 992 it begins - more french now

Well I have built new wheels from Mavic MR601 24H front and rear hubs and Mavic CXP14 rims. The spokes are sapim CX-ray with alloy nipples. I am using an old pair of Conti GP4000s at some point some Michelins, tyres and tubes will be fitted. Might even fit mavic rim tape. The cassette is cobbled together Shimano 10 speed 105 cassette. The chain is now a KMC x10-SL. Weight is 9.10 kg.

Next job is to fitt the Mavic Chainset and BB, but I really like the middleburn chainset.

can anyone suggest a French seatpost in silver alloy? Saddle has got to change as well. Any other French saddle other than Giles Berthoud.

Re:

Here you see another version of the 992

http://www.cycleexif.com/vitus-992

the seatpost is mentionned as mavic, but I doubt it as Mavic seatpost is black.
This is surely a vitus seatpost which looks like this

This seatpost was also seen as bearing the brand clb

https://www.lfgss.com/conversations/182018/

most of the other french seatpost you could find would look really too old - end of 70's - beginning of 80's design

here I have shown a few for my french steel weighweenie Bernard Carré (bottom of page ) :idea:
( I have also depicted a lot of rfrench parts from that era )

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=308106&hilit=bernard+carre

For the saddle, Ideale could have been a choice ! but same comment about the design - its going to look a bit dated ! and Ideale closed in 1980.

Here is an ideale array taken from a Ron Kitching catalog - probably mid 70's

Possibly a french model you could find is a Reydel. I suspect it has been manufactured into the 90's

You can find a "Pro" model or a "GTI" ! probably to surf on the wave of the 205 or Golf GTI :LOL:

here is one NOS for sale - it can be found in black too

http://www.cyclollector.com/fr/selle/17 ... jaune.html

Re:

Looking good Malcolm :cool:

Are Miche French? Seem to recall they were but I may be wrong. The Mavic chainsets do look really cool IMO, so I think it will look good on this bike.

Do you have any Michelin tyres for sale BTW?

Mike

Re: all French - tires

if you like to change to tubular I have a pair of Wolber - for clincher I have 1 piece of a Michelin Hi Lite Pro 700x19

I have a Vitus 992 Ovoid too I intend to do this with it after restoring the painting and stickers - but I am not sure to built it up in Paris-Roubaix of 1995 (they used a Rock Shox SL - this was the successor) or normally in a 1995s Lotto Team bike specification with Campagnolo Record 8-speed

Attachments

• Lotto Vtus 992 P-R.jpg
    Lotto Vtus 992 P-R.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 973
  • Lotto Vtus 992 P-R_01.jpg
    Lotto Vtus 992 P-R_01.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 973
never seem that before. You have time to built it in roubaix spec and ride it in PR in April. I have a set of MAvic GP4 tubular rims but the lack of mavic freehub hubs in 32H stopped me building them up for this bike. The GP4's will find use one day on something.

19mm tyres is not something I am willing to do myself. Like all my bike I take period only do far, I only use kit that is practical as I will be riding this on the local reliability rides over the next few months and hard to find tyres will be worn out within a few months if I use it the way I intend. Even got it passed my wife today without her saying anything. Result!

ok - I think I will built it up as a P-R version if possible. I am not sure that the fork head of this Rock Shox
works with this normal Vitus Frame, but I will do my best to realize such a P-R version.

After receiving the Frame set from painting restore I will open a seperate Topic about it.
Sorry - for using your Vitus 992 thread for this.

I like your idea. Having ridden it again today 86 miles of windyness, all can say is wow. I should make this my race bike as it is perfection but that would mean fitting a different groupset as I can't race with D/T shifters.

The one thing I have noticed is how stiff the frame is, both laterally in the BB area specifically and in every direction in the headset area.

Simply a joy to ride, why again with a bike like this did vitus go bust?

Back