1960s Chaplait porteur, very nice 😍 , here is the owners story, translation below.

It's been a long time since I gave in to the temptation.
It must be said that the vicissitudes of Parisian life concerning space, encourage restraint.
But here, I've dived back in, and in style! Taking advantage of various correlations, I gave myself a nice birthday present:
It is a press carrier that probably delivered various ducks in the streets of the capital. It was built by Chaplait, in Clamart, in the 1960s:
Its equipment has slightly evolved; no need to look for it in a catalogue, these machines are generally quite unique. This one is on a nice set of Dural wheels and "Maxi-car" hubs
Two MAFACs "Dural Forge", and their handles, brake the machine. Note also the superb "Phillipe" handlebars and stem in real chrome steel from the last century, I added the bell, for me, indispensable in the urban jungle, but I am not really convinced by its location.
Chic "Spécialités TA" crankset with 46-tooth chainring; and "Lyotard" pedals that are a bit too "city" for my taste.
And the highlight of the show: a giant package carrier (almost tabloid size) on its brackets brazed to the legs of the fork.
I really like it. Apart from the fact that it is, and this is rare, in my size (despite a slightly high saddle), it is very soft and light. I've been using it to go to work lately, and it's really nice.
I'm not going to do much on it, other than ride. Maybe a little less relaxed saddle and a little sportier pedals and it will be fine.
I love those singlespeed hubs.

1960s Chaplait porteur, very nice 😍 , here is the owners story, translation below.

It's been a long time since I gave in to the temptation.
It must be said that the vicissitudes of Parisian life concerning space, encourage restraint.
But here, I've dived back in, and in style! Taking advantage of various correlations, I gave myself a nice birthday present:
It is a press carrier that probably delivered various ducks in the streets of the capital. It was built by Chaplait, in Clamart, in the 1960s:
Its equipment has slightly evolved; no need to look for it in a catalogue, these machines are generally quite unique. This one is on a nice set of Dural wheels and "Maxi-car" hubs
Two MAFACs "Dural Forge", and their handles, brake the machine. Note also the superb "Phillipe" handlebars and stem in real chrome steel from the last century, I added the bell, for me, indispensable in the urban jungle, but I am not really convinced by its location.
Chic "Spécialités TA" crankset with 46-tooth chainring; and "Lyotard" pedals that are a bit too "city" for my taste.
And the highlight of the show: a giant package carrier (almost tabloid size) on its brackets brazed to the legs of the fork.
I really like it. Apart from the fact that it is, and this is rare, in my size (despite a slightly high saddle), it is very soft and light. I've been using it to go to work lately, and it's really nice.
I'm not going to do much on it, other than ride. Maybe a little less relaxed saddle and a little sportier pedals and it will be fine.
Colour and patina on that is veeeeery nice. Lovely.

I've had this c 1940s Semper for years, l really need to take some new pics. Screenshot_20191228_162534.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191228_162443.jpg
    Screenshot_20191228_162443.jpg
    301.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20191228_162504.jpg
    Screenshot_20191228_162504.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20191228_162407.jpg
    Screenshot_20191228_162407.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20191228_162215.jpg
    Screenshot_20191228_162215.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20191228_162325.jpg
    Screenshot_20191228_162325.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20191228_162256.jpg
    Screenshot_20191228_162256.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 6
The rear derailleur isn't the original, it's a Simplex TDF l think, the original hanger was removed before l bought the bike, it would have been a Cyclo type derailleur l think.

Indeed, l did wonder if they would work on a 5 speed, simply because living in the Peak District a good set of widely spaced gears is a must, hoping to get a Suntour 14-34 rear block.

Back