I think the Jan Heine bit was all I knew about René Herse. Thanks for the additional information 👍

650b looks doable. Looks like Michelin World Tour still come in that size. I guess the next step is to get the stem and seat post drowning in WD40 and Plus Gas. The headset and cranks turn smoothly, freewheel freewheels as it should do and even the pedals don’t have too much play. It looks pretty ratty but I think everything here is usable.
Start soaking everything with plus gas. Parts will possibly be unique to your bike, proceed with care and have fun.

The illustration is from late 40s, the picture 51.

Rims are 650b right. These started to fall out of favour by about 1960.

If you don't know much about RH, Jan Heine (a Geman living in Seattle with some French Heritage) now owns the bike and writes Bicycle Quarterly. He was very close to Rene's daughter Lyli (who inherited the business from her dad and then later passed it to Jan) and has done a lot to document RH and contemporaries.

He can be a bit hyperbolic, but he knows a lot about his subject. Lots of information on his website for free.

I think the Jan Heine bit was all I knew about René Herse. Thanks for the additional information 👍

650b looks doable. Looks like Michelin World Tour still come in that size. I guess the next step is to get the stem and seat post drowning in WD40 and Plus Gas. The headset and cranks turn smoothly, freewheel freewheels as it should do and even the pedals don’t have too much play. It looks pretty ratty but I think everything here is usable.

Almost certainly 650b, be shocked if 700?

If you're in France, Gran Bois are somewhere in between René Herse (/ Compass Cycles) and Panracer Gravelkings for toughness and will roll closer to the orginal tyres?

They’re definitely smaller than 700c. I forgot to put a tape measure across them when I was in the garage but I’ll make sure I do it before I buy tyres! I need to re-spoke the wheels anyway, so I’ll be taking plenty more measurements.

Good news items so far are:
1) 55cm top tube = Jonny69 size
2) This:

153E6AE4-B80C-414F-A3F7-73F5D3229462.jpeg

3) This:

2274C66C-27A9-4C19-A7F5-E72FE7778FD6.jpeg

Nothing has put up a fight so far. Stem and seatpost came straight out which I’ve got to say I wasn’t expecting! Front bolts on the stem released no issues and bars move. Canti bolts released. Shifter freed and bolt released. Brake lever lock screws are soaking and the dynamo bolt feels like it will need some encouragement. Otherwise looking good.

I can feel a build thread coming on ;)

They’re definitely smaller than 700c. I forgot to put a tape measure across them when I was in the garage but I’ll make sure I do it before I buy tyres! I need to re-spoke the wheels anyway, so I’ll be taking plenty more measurements.

Good news items so far are:
1) 55cm top tube = Jonny69 size
2) This:

View attachment 789421

3) This:

View attachment 789420

Nothing has put up a fight so far. Stem and seatpost came straight out which I’ve got to say I wasn’t expecting! Front bolts on the stem released no issues and bars move. Canti bolts released. Shifter freed and bolt released. Brake lever lock screws are soaking and the dynamo bolt feels like it will need some encouragement. Otherwise looking good.

I can feel a build thread coming on ;)
Build thread? Go for it! You've caused quite a bit of excitement already. Some are drooling as we speak...

I had some the Rene Herse 32s for my Roberts. Lush, but fragile. They do tougher versions, but only above 700 x 35

Been thinking of getting these for the Jack Taylor Tandem.

I suppose it depends on what you to use.l it for? But it would of definitely had something quite supple and relatively lightweight on back in the day.

Back