Hi, I've unwittingly been dragged in to this thread due to opening my mouth and saying "that looks a nice frame - I'll build a bike out of that".
So, not knowing what it was - except for light, old, bent and pretty - I set about it.
Removed the Dulux, straightened the frame and forks and tried to do a "dry build" to see if the wheels lined up.
First, fit the forks - oh no you won't - no headset threaded parts - it's 25mm.
Never mind, we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.
So I rigged the forks in place with some races that nearly fitted and slung some wheels in and a bar set from another project and it's amazingly straight!
What I'm going to need if anyone can help is some French threaded head set bits, I haven't investigated the BB yet so maybe I've got problems there too.
By doing a lot of Googling I've found out that it's an Oscar Egg from the 30s or 40s, so I'm floating in uncharted water here.
Maybe I should have left well alone!

Attachments

• lugs2.jpg
    lugs2.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 29
  • lugs1.jpg
    lugs1.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 29
  • lugs3.jpg
    lugs3.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 29
Hi, I've unwittingly been dragged in to this thread due to opening my mouth and saying "that looks a nice frame - I'll build a bike out of that".
So, not knowing what it was - except for light, old, bent and pretty - I set about it.
Removed the Dulux, straightened the frame and forks and tried to do a "dry build" to see if the wheels lined up.
So I rigged the forks in place with some races that nearly fitted and slung some wheels in and a bar set from another project and it's amazingly straight!
What I'm going to need if anyone can help is some French threaded head set bits, I haven't investigated the BB yet so maybe I've got problems there too.
By doing a lot of Googling I've found out that it's an Oscar Egg from the 30s or 40s, so I'm floating in uncharted water here.
Welcome to the other side. Some good parts and donors on Leboncoin, a few sellers on ebay sell French parts. Get comfy, it will not be straight forward. It will however be very pretty. What size wheels are fitted?
@Woz @grantoury

Reactions: Woz
The wheels in the picture are 27" - from the wheel rack for other projects - I'm thinking 700c for this as i've got some Weinmann rims and some Normandy/ Le Tour hubs.
The frame has had some derailleur cable braze-ons added at some time so it'll get a 5 speed Shimano Crane rear and a Stronglight 49D crankset.
I'm hoping to just use parts that I've already got wherever possible.
Already thinking about a colour, H Lloyd does decals, so it could look quite nice - but I'm not going for originality - more rideability - as information is scarce and those old Osgears are a nightmare I don't want..

L.G. Dujardin campeur 650B 1950s. Photos show as bought and rebuilt, along with the correct Nivex fittings discussed, note the quick release and drop out. Translation below.

I'd like to present my cyclo camper, built by L.G. Dujardin. It has Nivex dropouts, combined with a Simplex derailleur. Frame and fork number 120
It has been modernised a bit, cranks, mudguards, seatpost, front derailleur, rear brake, dynamo, shifter.
What is the purpose of the screws on the seat tube? Which front derailleur was fitted? There was a bracket for a derailleur with a lever. Simplex 285?

The answer is-
It's a real shame that the front derailleur bracket has been sawn off. It would have allowed either a lever or a Simplex type 39 derailleur to be fitted.
A Dujardin from this era without a Nivex derailleur is surprising.
Especially with a Nivex rear dropout. The small front dropout could also be fitted with a Nivex front derailleur.
Assumption:
The low package carrier seems a bit modern for the 50s, and doesn't correspond to the Dujardin standard of those years.
As far as I'm concerned, the chainstay has been modernised. Replacing the Nivex derailleur with the Simplex and modifying the rack attachments.
Photo shows the classic Dujardin attachment.

lgdujardin1.JPG lgdujardin2.JPG lgdujardin3.JPG lgdujardin4.JPG lgdujardin5.JPG lgdujardin6.JPG lgdujardin7.JPG lgdujardin8.JPG lgdujardin9.JPG lgdujardin10.JPG

The wheels in the picture are 27" - from the wheel rack for other projects - I'm thinking 700c for this as i've got some Weinmann rims and some Normandy/ Le Tour hubs.
The frame has had some derailleur cable braze-ons added at some time so it'll get a 5 speed Shimano Crane rear and a Stronglight 49D crankset.
Already thinking about a colour, H Lloyd does decals, so it could look quite nice - but I'm not going for originality - more rideability - as information is scarce and those old Osgears are a nightmare I don't want..
That should look very nice, I think anyone that actually rides thinks the early derailleurs are awful. I know I do. I would rather have a 3/4 speed S/A hub in preference. The Crane is a great mech with nice precise shifting. I am a Shimano fan though.

Last edited:
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I wonder if it once belonged to curate?
egg.JPG
It's a lovely old thing. You're definitely in the right place for generous, accurate advice too.

Last edited:
Spotted the Sturmey 5 speed shifters, was this one of the options?

1930-40s Hurtu randonneur. I think Hurtu were very innovative and built lovely machines. This one is no exception imo. Pic heavy. Translation below.

Here's a complete Hurtu bike that's going to be cleaned, greased and kept in its original condition. I'm not a connoisseur of this brand but I think the bike dates from the 30's or early 40's. It's not very heavy, I'm going to replace the handlebars and the two pedals which are a bit modern.

hurtu2.jpeg hurtu4.jpeg hurtu6.jpeg hurtu7.jpeg hurtu8.jpeg hurtu11.jpeg hurtu12.jpeg hurtu13.jpeg hurtu14.jpeg hurtu15.jpeg

Latest posts

Back