Vintage eBay identification

Re:

The forks aren’t chrome at the moment, but it may have been re sprayed at some point (because of the lack of decals?)

Out of curiosity, why do we think it’s a Corsa and not some of the other makes (Cobra/Corsair etc)? I can’t see much difference from looking at the various photos I’ve found

I’m looking to get a Carlton badge from the head tube, and then putting on some decals once I’ve cleaned the frame up, but I’d like to get the right ones

Cobra with that number would be all chrome and have plain lugs, Corsair launched 1978 so too late for your bike.

Crespera lugs, top tube braze ons, braze on rear brake stop, fork lamp boss like yours is usually the Corsa as they were the most common. Raleigh / Carlton were the masters of badge engineering using the same frame for lots of different named bikes, put VW to shame lol

Re:

All finished!

Other than a stuck stem, it was quite a successful project. The aim was to turn it into a useable bike, while keeping all the original bits it came with. I know the decals aren’t genuine, and that they should be chrome, but they were a bit out of my price range!

Attachments

• E6AA9C92-3E24-4D32-88D1-96C1D67ABB47.jpeg
    E6AA9C92-3E24-4D32-88D1-96C1D67ABB47.jpeg
    979.4 KB · Views: 250
Re:

Sorry, I probably didn’t phrase that right. I didn’t get the stem out. Tried soaking it in oil overnight, heating and cooling it, hitting it with a big hammer, but nothing worked. Such a shame as everything else came off ok.

Not sure about the gear range. It’s a 6 speed cassette but some of the drive train has been replaced over its life

Re:

Ah ok, sadly destructive removal is the way usually.
Yeah it looks like it has quite a small inner ring for a bike of that era which is probably a good thing.

Back