Vintage Claude Butler "Tour of Britain" 1956 (Mystery solved)

Grayzza

Retro Newbie
Hi

In 2021 I posted a thread trying to find out about my late Dad's Claude Butler bicycle. I was trying to find out what model it was and when it was made by the frame number (5683287)

Original thread: https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/claud-butler-mystery-model-1950s.430448/#post-3145730

The consensus among the very helpful experts was that it was a circa 1958 Tour of Britain, with a different fork.

Anyway, fast forward 3 years and I need to sell it but I wanted to let those who helped me in 2021 know that I recently discovered a number of documents (see images) which nail the date of sale to June 18 1956. Amazingly, my Dad kept the original HP agreement, the guarantee certificate with frame number listed and, an annotated CB catalogue from the period which aligns with the HP cost. (Note, I have the full catalogue which I could scan if this would be of interest).

I attach latest images of the bike and receipts, etc (note no-one listed on the doc or the address now exists). The only mystery is the colour scheme, which doesnt align with the default colour scheme listed in the catalogue but the catalogue does say that other finishes are available. Could this have been a 'special' request scheme or something more random in 1956? The only non-original items are the spokes, wheel hubs, tape and cables. The original tyres had to go as well . . .

As you will note from the HP agreement that Dad paid over £40 in 1956 - was that mid range or quite a dear bike in those days?

I think apart from sharing that I have 'solved' my CB mystery, I wanted to ask advice about where I should look to advertise the CB for sale. Any help gratefully received.

Cheers

Grayzza

PS Hope you like the pics - taken last week in the sun!

Attachments

• IMG_5605.JPG
    IMG_5605.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_5620.JPG
    IMG_5620.JPG
    945.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_5614.JPG
    IMG_5614.JPG
    538.4 KB · Views: 33
  • Claude Butler - Annotated catalogue page.pdf
    483.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Claude Butler - Guarantee certificate with frame number (Scan).pdf
    342.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Claude Butler - HP Agreement 1956 (Scan).pdf
    1 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5621.JPG
    IMG_5621.JPG
    564.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_5623.JPG
    IMG_5623.JPG
    533.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5625.JPG
    IMG_5625.JPG
    838.8 KB · Views: 30
This probably is the best place to advertise your lovely Claud. I can think of one or two on here who'd bite your hand off! At the right price mind you - you should be aware that the market for used bikes, even one as nice as yours, has taken a considerable knock of late. Good luck.

which shed more light on your father's Claude Butler bicycle! The historical receipts and annotated catalogue are invaluable pieces of information, and they certainly add a lot of provenance to the bike. Based on the HP agreement showing that your father paid over £40 in 1956, that would likely have been a decent sum back then, putting the bicycle in the mid- to high-range category.

Back