Very original survivor 1992 Pine Mountain

Re: Re:

shinobi":2aailnjt said:
Im guessing this was from a guy in Portsalde /Southwick maybe ?
It did cross my mind when it was on Gumtree but only as a donor really but i was strong for once :LOL:

Paul

Yeah that’s one. For £35 it would have been a bargain. I hadn’t appreciated just how skrewed it could be from the flattering long range piccies.

Re:

Because of what it is I`d suggest spraying the bejesus out of it in Plusgas and leaving it for a week.You`d be surprised how much a lot of the rot may be surface only,hopefully the soak would also shift the post and the bolts and bits could be replaced cheaply enough with stainless.

66 triumph daytona":24klivex said:
Because of what it is I`d suggest spraying the bejesus out of it in Plusgas and leaving it for a week.You`d be surprised how much a lot of the rot may be surface only,hopefully the soak would also shift the post and the bolts and bits could be replaced cheaply enough with stainless.
+ 1 :D
If you can move the post and can accept its never going to win any concours
i think it could be a perfectly good bike and with a set of cables and chain / cassette im sure it would ride fine .After all it was only below the team and team issue in the steel line up in its day .
Paul

For the rusty metal parts, wash them in a strong detergent solution and rub with aluminium foil, they will come up fine. When dry, spray with GT85 and they will stay rust free. Alternatively wash with Pantene - the silicone in it acts as a corrosion barrier, works a treat on the Ducati!

hamster":1jruc73t said:
For the rusty metal parts, wash them in a strong detergent solution and rub with aluminium foil, they will come up fine. When dry, spray with GT85 and they will stay rust free. Alternatively wash with Pantene - the silicone in it acts as a corrosion barrier, works a treat on the Ducati!
If i had a Ducati it wouldnt be getting wet :LOL: worked in a shop in the late 70s who the Darmah and the Hailwood rep in stock :cool:
Paul

I was in touch with this guy, spoke to him on the phone and lined up he collection for the next morning. I think it had only been on Gumtree an hour. Next day as I was about to leave he cancelled. £35 was cheap! I must've gotten wise. He did tell me the seat post moved though and it was all working. I'd have just used the parts so it's probably better it went to someone who can keep the bike whole. Good luck with the restoration.

shinobi":2x2922fj said:
66 triumph daytona":2x2922fj said:
+ 1 :D
If you can move the post and can accept its never going to win any concours
i think it could be a perfectly good bike and with a set of cables and chain / cassette im sure it would ride fine .After all it was only below the team and team issue in the steel line up in its day .
Paul

I haven't come across Plusgas but I like the idea of spraying the bejesus out of something and sitting back rather than hour upon hour of scouring and scrubbing. I might give it a go. I'll be taking it to my special dirty jobs workshop setup (dad's garage) and leaving it for a while before I return, will this stuff do any harm if its left for a few weeks?

shinobi":2kih27sx said:
hamster":2kih27sx said:
If i had a Ducati it wouldnt be getting wet :LOL: worked in a shop in the late 70s who the Darmah and the Hailwood rep in stock :cool:
Paul
Thanks for the Pantene tip. Do use it neat or diluted? I don't have a lot of use for shampoo any more myself - a raid on the bathroom cupboard approaching...

Re:

I did a science experiment with the kids. White Vinegar vs Citric Acid in water solution to remove rust. Citric acid is easy to come buy - used in home wine making.

Tried them both at 5% (White Vinegar is already 5%).

Citric acid is amazing. Just leave in overnight. No nasty chemicals... easy to get rid of.

Used it on loads of nuts & bolts now. I then tried zinc plating at home - but that's another story.

Also - this was the best thing I found to undo stuck stuff:
http://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints ... pray-400ml

It's like WD40 - but also freezes. Only thing which would budge my bottom bracket - and a 3 foot long breaker bar!

Good luck.

Attachments

• IMG_20170911_131302.jpg
    IMG_20170911_131302.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 304
  • IMG_20170911_131307.jpg
    IMG_20170911_131307.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 304
Rotorhead":1jip45s0 said:
Thanks for the Pantene tip. Do use it neat or diluted? I don't have a lot of use for shampoo any more myself - a raid on the bathroom cupboard approaching...

My jeweller put me onto the Pantene trick - he uses it neat on silver to stop tarnishing. Rinse off with water.

Cranks, brakes, hubs and other polished alloy stays shiny and protected.

Back