Very Nice Record Ace

I believe they retained that for a while after
I bow to your superior knowledge. From Wikipedia:
In 1979, production of Raleigh 531 butted-tube bicycles reached 10,000 units a year. In 1981, the former Carlton factory at Worksop closed after a vote was held. The original decision to continue at Worksop was reversed but the management decided to go with the original decision, and by the autumn production was moved to a Lightweights facility at Nottingham. However, all bicycles made there afterward still carried the W for Worksop frame number designation until early 1990.

This has the ultra rare purple and yellow Reynolds sticker 😉
I paid similar for my unused(!) but grimy ‘80 version, but this one has been much upgraded. The price seems ok-ish maybe
Ahh. Wondered what that was...
And all that extra kit and tools too. Looking more and more like a good buy - if you have the height. And the Merlot.

Last edited:
I owned one of these from new '82. It was the benchmark for any road bike I've ever had. The 12 speed was the slickest I've ever had, they're wonderful bikes. Price too stiff though, they come up often on Ebay though needing more work. This one is not with original spec too so would depend on if you wanted to go retromod.....

Agree, they are lovely bikes.
An ‘83 model was my first quality bike at the age of 14. But I’d been drooling over the earlier version in the catalog with drilled chainrings and Suntour Cyclone. I thought it was the most beautiful bicycle I’d ever seen! (hence pouncing on an unused one a couple of years ago)

Back