V-Brakes - Something different.

Hmm.. Scratch that idea, even the exploded diagram on shimano's website shows the parallel parts fixed, Even if I could take them apart, they would never go back together again!! :roll:

The over complicated system on the xtr v-brakes that allows the brake blocks to move parrallel to the rim. Its quite effective, but not great when you are thinking about taking them apart...

Attachments

• XTR.jpg
    XTR.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 1,293
et al.....watch out for the KCNC brakes. i've installed 2 sets, on two very different customer's bikes, so far and they are VERY poorly made.

if anyone wants details, i will post them, but for now.....don't bother spending the money.....

this is the perfect example if things that look cool...but are just not worth the money.....

Extralite are another interesting brake choice, although I get the feeling they might turn out to be the same story as above. I'm not allowed to post a URL in my first post so just type Extralite into Google.

I have an Arch Rival Supreme, which is a wonderful performing and looking brake. They are rare though and again tend to be on the pricey side!

Vee Brakes

Try some of the US Ebay shops they have all sorts of Anodised exotica in the Vee Brake line. Cane Creek make some different designs, if a little pricey. Used to run Arch Rivals and as previously stated they were eye poppingly good, on a par with a lot of Discs now on Ceramic rims.

syncrosfiend":2xq668b1 said:
et al.....watch out for the KCNC brakes. i've installed 2 sets, on two very different customer's bikes, so far and they are VERY poorly made.

if anyone wants details, i will post them, but for now.....don't bother spending the money.....

this is the perfect example if things that look cool...but are just not worth the money.....

Thanks for the feedback, seen the stuff but never heard how it performs, now i know!!

gtburrows":3fw1a8zi said:
Extralite are another interesting brake choice, although I get the feeling they might turn out to be the same story as above. I'm not allowed to post a URL in my first post so just type Extralite into Google.

I have an Arch Rival Supreme, which is a wonderful performing and looking brake. They are rare though and again tend to be on the pricey side!

These ones?

UB%201.jpg

ultralevers.jpg

With function and cost factored in, I'm a big fan of the XTR series V-brakes; 950, 951.

The linkage image highlighted earlier can be a problem but Shimano does make a rebuild kit for that section, about $15-20.

You can pick up a full bike set for $40-60.

The XTR levers are quite nice too ... nothing fancy but they have a great feel.

Back