V-Brakes - Something different.

AVID ARCH ULTIMATE

If performance and build quality are the main deciding factors id seriously recomend a full set of AVID ARCH ULTIMATE :D

From time to time ive seen them on the Bay and have sold for not to much ;)

They are jaw droppingly strong and with the arch, prevent your stays from flexing too much..

holden":msqz5igf said:
The linkage image highlighted earlier can be a problem but Shimano does make a rebuild kit for that section, about $15-20.

this is true but they have to be sure to get the kits that's not just shims, but the parallelogram linkage as well.

the kits that comes with shims alone doesn't keep the brakes from rattling up and down.

also, the shim kit can tend to introduce drag at the arms. so i've found it's best to replace the link. cost about twice as much but works better i think.

Mmm, those extralite v's are nice.! Does anyone have any experience of them? I have a horrible feeling that it will be form over function. :roll:

These kits for the XTR v's, does that allow you to completely srtip them down and rebuild them? If so I probaby could get a set re-anodised? :)

syncrosfiend":mf0egltw said:
the kits that comes with shims alone doesn't keep the brakes from rattling up and down.

yeah, i was thinking the rebuild kit with the link arm. didn't realize my price quote was low.

i've attached pics of the kit.

Attachments

• xtr_rebuild-kit_02.jpg
    xtr_rebuild-kit_02.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 727
  • xtr_rebuild-kit_01.jpg
    xtr_rebuild-kit_01.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 727
OrangeRetro...it doesn't require that you strip them down but you could if you wanted to.

holden....depends on where you are. we have a set at the shop that's priced at $45. but shimano spare parts are always expensive.

what you have is a pic of the complete kit.

there is another kit that is only the shims.

Best V-brakes I've used are the Avid Ultimate Black Ops I have on the Lloyd. They feel so much more solid than the XTR's on the Kona, and that's both using XTR levers. The XTR's are excellent brakes, but the Avids are better.

Hmmm, now i'm intrigued, just got to find some tatty and cheap XTR v's now... anyone want to sell me a set cheapo? ;)

Back