V brake & disc combo, who’s uses this?

sunchaser

Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Hi,

Any of you guys run V brake out back & disc up front? If so, how’d you find it?

Recently bought a SID fork (thanks Martin) that has both canti studs & disc mount so, might try the afore mentioned brake combination..

Any pics of your bikes with this set up, for inspirational purposes would be nice.

Thanks in advance :)

Martin

Absolutely no doubt some time back in maybe the early/mid 00's I will have done...However, this will have only have been an interim thing in between upgrading last years fork and upgrading to next years frame...I seem to remember being post grad spending all the beer money on a single Hope Mini...then the next frame I got was all disc.

I certainly don't recall it ever "being a thing" I think it was mere happenstance that you either couldn't afford to go all in or your bike wasn't yet fully disc ready...so in terms of retrobikes youare hitting a particularly niche moment in time!

I only use rim brakes but a lot of people have used such setup. Shouldn't be any issues and if you like disc brakes, and have a disc compatible fork then why not make use of it? Better than fiddly adapters. Could pair with a magura rim brake in the back or something fancier?

Re:

A bike I bought had that set-up, albeit a cable operated disc up front mounted on later model forks c.2004 I think;

Attachments

• Disc V.jpg
    Disc V.jpg
    298.9 KB · Views: 358
I've tried it, and liked it. Basic shimano disc front, magura HS33 rear. Chose the basic front brake becuase the lever shape was very similar to the magura lever shape

I like it.

Helps stop the inertia filled front end of sexiness.

Attachments

• F8AE1926-6FEE-4400-97C1-2BEBCEBFF473.jpeg
    F8AE1926-6FEE-4400-97C1-2BEBCEBFF473.jpeg
    407.9 KB · Views: 352
The History Man":2usc4e3z said:
I like it..

You know when you picture Anne Widdecombe in a bath of cold baked beans doing thing that shouldn't be done with an Aubergine to try, just try to get rid of image you've just seen still burning in your retinas?

That's your bike that is.

Yep, on my singlespeed. Magura MT2 on the front, SD25 on the back. I keep promising myself that I 'll switch back to V on the front for summer for the weight saving.

Re:

Yep in late 1990s dreadful hydraulic American thing on front (goodness can’t remember what...)

...it’s a different sort of mullet altogether.....

Back