Using Sugino/Spa triple crankset as double

I have an Spa XD2 chainset on one of my mountain bikes, purchased as I wanted a decent chainset with 172.5 cranks. The XD2 is rather good quality with a nice almost older Campag polished finish. I haven't notice any undue flex with mine or any chain ring alignment issues either (mine has Stronglight rings fitted). I run as a triple using a UN55 113mm bb. Depending upon your chain stay design you may find that this length will also work for a double. I have attached a few pics so your perusal..

Attachments

• xd2_1.JPG
    xd2_1.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 7
  • xd2_2.JPG
    xd2_2.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 6
  • xd2_3.JPG
    xd2_3.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 9
  • xd2_4.JPG
    xd2_4.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 9
  • xd2_5.JPG
    xd2_5.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 9
Thanks.
It is beautiful. I don't partcularly like the "X" cranks, with their hidden arm behind the crank lever, but the finish is really nice.

I ended up getting the double as I didn't want to risk running into clearance issues, but I'll post some pictures when I get it. Although now I might end up fitting it onto my modern bike instead of the Peugeot...

Thanks.
It is beautiful. I don't partcularly like the "X" cranks, with their hidden arm behind the crank lever, but the finish is really nice.

I ended up getting the double as I didn't want to risk running into clearance issues, but I'll post some pictures when I get it. Although now I might end up fitting it onto my modern bike instead of the Peugeot...
I too think it is a good looking chain-set. Mind you compared to most fugly modern designs it is not a hard beauty contest to win! Given the option I would always go for a 'normal' 5-arm design but at the time this is all Spa had. In practice it has been fine although I always Copaslip chainring bolts anyway but have heard that the hidden bolt can be subject to corrosion so something to be aware of.

Got the Spa TD2 crankset in the 2x version.
I am pleased to report it is straight, but it's exactly what you would expect for £30: badly finished.
It works, and it allowed me to try 165mm crank length with minimal investment. I won't buy another one for my other bikes, but it served a purpose.

Back