Unofficial retrobike allotment thread....

Re:

Hmmm - back on topic again, what was the outcome of the Friday meeting and inspection with the council Lumos?

Re: Re:

groovyblueshed":1i6ksqxm said:
Hmmm - back on topic again, what was the outcome of the Friday meeting and inspection with the council Lumos?

it seems the letter they sent out was to find out who's working the plots or not, apparently lots were sent out to try and free up some unused plots, I asked about improving the drainage but they didn't seem to interested and to get them to rotovate will cost me £50.
so I have decided to hire one myself and put raised beds on the really wet areas.

Re:

If the ground's waterlogged, it may because it might be compacted below the soil surface, where a 'pan' could be forming underneath. A pan is a crust which often forms when ground is always dug or rotovated to the same level or where the water table sits. In the old days, people would 'double dig' plots – a real killer of a job. It depends what kind of soil you have – we're on heavy London clay. Had this problem with large parts of our plot, which has deep seams of clay running through it. It's like the Somme in winter and in summer it sets like concrete with deep fissures running to the centre of the Earth. It was hard slow work, but basically had to use a fork to crack through the pan and deeper, roughly turn everything over, add sand and grit, then mulch heavily with manure to leave for a while.

Rotovating might make matters worse. If it's light machine it might bounce off and skim just the surface creating a fine 'soup'. A heavy machine may get bogged down and make compaction worse. Hiring one may end up costing more than the £50 quoted by the council. Mind you, if you've already planted stuff, I wouldn't trust the council or contractors to not plough through planted areas.

Best option, if you're back is up to it, is get some bags of grit and enlist some friends to help steadily dig over, especially if it's not you in particular the council is targeting and no real rush to cultivate it 'or else'. The £50 could provide some of the catering or beer money.

Btw, which council is it?

thanks for the advice, I think ill dig a deep hole and see what the situation is, ive divided the plot up and im working it bit by bit, the plots eather side of me look ok so I hope once I get going it will get better, the whole allotment site Is on a gradual slope and my plot is at the bottom but the soil looks really good, im hoping is the extraordinary weather we've had that's making it water logged and the fact its not been used for a while,
I have been advised by other plot holders that the council will make it worse, but I think theses a bit of politics going on there

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-12851575

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/5 ... ol/?ref=rc

on the plus side ive got a nice soft fruit patch, red current, raspberries and ive added some gooseberries bushes. I also have a big patch of rhubarb that's taking up a lot of room. ive bought a fig tree to go in although fruit trees aren't allowed im hoping the roots will help improve the drainage.

edit; just read up on figs and need to restrict the roots :roll:

Re:

Trust councils to cock up royally, given the opportunity. And it looks like yet a another council trying to make a fast buck by selling off anything creative and beneficial to the people. Once allotment ground is gone, it's lost forever. Here's another example of site under threat:

http://www.gofundme.com/save-farm-terrace

When we first started allotmenteering, back in '99, our Enfield (Tory) council wrongly rotovated three other plots first before hitting gold with ours. They turned up again mid-week and rotovated our plot so finely it became a sandy dust bowl. Next day there was heavy rain all day which compacted the lot. The following day was a mini heatwave. When we turned up at the weekend to start working the plot, we found the plot had dropped at least 6 inches and had baked into concrete. Had to buy a heavy duty mattock to crack the ground.

We're on a 2nd site now and are cultivating a plot which is on a gradual slope with heavy clay soil. The lower end turns into a marsh in winter. Have planted this with hazels, marginal plants and created a pond area. The rest is slowly being turned over, mulched thickly and left for a period to turn into a more crumbly workable soil.

Sounds like you'll be good for fruit. With the fig, they like poorer free draining soils. You could use paving slabs may be, to create a planter to restrict the roots. Or a decent sized heavy duty terracotta pot sunk in the ground.

Back