Unofficial retrobike allotment thread....

finally got them spuds in, some red onions in too, done my back in so ive not been able to touch it and had a warning letter for non cultivation. most of my plot is water-logged its going to take loads of work to get usable. anyone have any ideas what the councils responsibility is to provide a usable plot? im guessing none.

Re:

How long have you had the plot and has it always been waterlogged or had drainage problems from before you took it on?

We had a couple of these notifications in the past 3 years – my partner broke her ankle one year and the following year I smashed my knee from a riding accident and was recovering. We survived after making some small 'noticeable' improvements quickly. I tidied some junk to one corner scythed grass down, made some 'beds' with straw/manure so that they looked like proper cultivation.

You should be given at least 28 days (what's considered to be a reasonable notice time) to make reasonable improvements. You should also have the right of appeal. You need to be discussing your back injury and the drainage problems with your site secretary as soon as possible – try to get them on board to fight your corner, depending how amenable they are.

Unfortunately, a lot of councils have shown no concern for plot holders' health issues and have treated them very shabbily in some documented cases. Aside of any contamination issues, councils aren't obliged to be responsible for your plot. It's down to the plot holder to prepare/cultivate/manage their plot.

I had the plot since September , from what ive been told its not been worked for about 4 years, I cut the grass back and started digging it over the end of last year, I had planned to start early this year but the rain has kept me off till now, we had some dry weather befour easter but I was in brazil when I returned I put my back out, its looking a bit dryer now but when I put a spade it the ground its really compact, ive managed to create a small raised bed to get started but I must have turned that ground over 3-4 times to get it workable.

Re:

You haven't had the plot long then. It's hard starting from scratch. With the hurricanes, almost constant rain and flooding through winter, it's been almost impossible to make progress outside on allotments. Digging etc in waterlogged ground does more harm than good to the soil structure. The council seems to be being most unrealistic and unreasonable. It's worth appealing as about seven months over the wettest winter on record would never be sufficient to get the plot to model standard.

I gave them a call, there's an inspection on Friday so ive arranged to meet them and have a chat about it, the local council contract a landscaping firm to look after the allotments here, I think they are willing to help but its going to cost me

lumos2000":163t4ko8 said:
I gave them a call, there's an inspection on Friday so ive arranged to meet them and have a chat about it, the local council contract a landscaping firm to look after the allotments here, I think they are willing to help but its going to cost me

Exactly what Howard says...

Is there a waiting list? If not you could labour the point that it would be a lot worse if you didn't have it and would cost the council more in the long run. Could you rent a rotivator when it's a bit drier and turn it over? Not ideal but it will look better and may make you feel more positive.

Good luck on Friday.

grumpycommuter":13iyzvqr said:
lumos2000":13iyzvqr said:

Exactly what Howard says...

Is there a waiting list? If not you could labour the point that it would be a lot worse if you didn't have it and would cost the council more in the long run. Could you rent a rotivator when it's a bit drier and turn it over? Not ideal but it will look better and may make you feel more positive.

Good luck on Friday.

Allotments are like gold dust and are worth fighting for to keep. Unless they're dead set on following through on the notification, it sounds like there's an opportunity to come to an arrangement with the Council. They should be prepared consider all the factors that have conspired to make cultivation of your plot difficult for you. Seven months (most of it during the worst of a bad winter) is no time at all for anyone to prepare a plot for cultivation. Unless you live very local, have no full time commitments and can be there working every day on it, but in reality most of us can't. As you've suffered a back injury, may be ask the council for help to rotivate your plot, for an affordable fee. I can sure tell you, any back problems stop you dead in your tracks from getting anything done.

Good luck for Friday Lumos – hope it goes well for you. Let us know how you get on. Don't give up.

Hire a rotivator for a day, doesn't cost much and gets the job done.

Back on topic.

Our plot is coming along very nicely. I appear to be ahead of everyone else, they are holding back planting out there stuff whereas I have the plot almost full. Early spuds were nipped by the frost last week but I have taken off the affected leaves so hopefully no lasting damage. Broad Beans, red onions, leeks, beetroot are all coming along very well. Main crop spuds have just popped their first leaves through. Only disappointment so far is rhubarb - all of the tubers I planted did sprout but have died off. Away next week so hoping for plenty of rain.

lumos2000":1y5u9zhk said:
... anyone have any ideas what the councils responsibility is to provide a usable plot? im guessing none.

On our site some of the plots at one end are affected by Mares Tail - an invasive weed that is almost impossible to eradicator. They have moved some people to free plots at the other end of the site. Similar sort of situation - the ground is not suitable so they should move you.

dident realise I was getting of topic? lots of work to do before I can even think of getting a rotivator in, got the strimmer on it today so at least I can see what Im up against. had a chat to the council contractor and they don't seem too interested and all their guys are busy.
hopefully Ill get somewhere this weekend

Back