Unbending a Stumpy direct drive fork, late 80s

wordnumb

Dirt Disciple
Hello,

A van reversed into my front wheel last week, I thought it was only the wheel that died but it looks as if there is now a slight difference in the curvatures of the fork legs. Wheel still goes round, but it ain't quite right.

It's a late 80s or early 90s Stumpjumper that's only used as a pub bike. I know these forks crop up 2nd hand occasionally but does anyone have an informed opinion whether it's worth trying to unbend them? And if so best method?

Thanks.

Once metals been stressed by bending it will always be weaker at that point. If it was the frame its less of an issue as the frame is strong through triangulation with other frame tubes. I dont think I'd be happy riding a fork that I know had been bent unless some sort of serious repair had been done. For a pub bike I'd just get a rigid fork of the right size and type, high tensile steel would be fine and fit that, no need for a direct drive one unless your picky.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I was hoping for something more like "yeah, fine, no risk at all".

Oh well, that's colour coordination out the window. Thanks for your thoughts gents.

velomaniac":25dkjn23 said:
Is a less bent fork some how more safe ?????

Precisely what I was wondering, as it's only very slightly out.

xerxes":25dkjn23 said:
I have a set of forks you can have for the cost of postage...so these should be the same.

Tempting, thank you, they're in far better nik than any of the DD forks I've looked at. I'll see how it rides as is, check size etc. Might get back to you. But, as said, it's the pub bike and as such doesn't have a hard life.

I had a professional frame builder straighten a fork for me, took about 15 minutes and it was very inexpensive. While I agree with the above comments about creating a weak spot, high quality steel can be bent back into shape and still be safe. But I would take it to a pro...

velomaniac":1c5vnh6r said:
Is a less bent fork some how more safe ?????

In my opinion I would say yes, maybe …

There is a whole world of difference between a slight misalignment and a big bend, an evenly distributed bend or a bend concentrated at one point, no visible kinks or creases v big kinks and creases, even the direction of the bend could be influential i.e. is the fork bent forward / backward or is it now out of line compared with the back wheel ?

Hence the interest of seeing the picture.

It may be very easy to condemn them from viewing the picture :-(

Other people may then chime in – “Mine were worse than that and X respected frame builder fixed them for X £’s” etc :D – see comment above ;-)

WD :D

Back