UN54 BB fitting help please

un54

the metals ones tend to sit flush with shell or even inside a little. What you have done so far mate sounds like a sucess, good work.

The 'dont' grease vinyl cup thing was probably just shimano coverig their butts as they cant control the exact grease any comsumer would apply potentialy leading to a reaction and mucking with warranty implications...etc...

I reckon you will be ok. get whatever it is you are doing finished and get some pics up.

Cheers.

The 'E' in EBB is the clue here - it's meant for an E-type front mech; without the mech you need a spacer on the drive side...

...unless I've got the wrong end of that particular stick?

Is the BB a UN54E?

nsaints":2xbwieau said:
Thanks for the advice - it's a 68mm and the BB didn't come with any spacers
Incidently - It's a brand new Woods EBB it's screwing into

So I've just tightened hard on the metal side 1st, then in with the plastic side as tight as I'm comfortable without fear cracking it

still have a small gap before the plastic NDS shoulder hits the EBB - I guess I'll have to keep an eye on it :?:

You've done it correctly. All my UN54's have a small gap on the NDS.

OK, so here's a couple of shots - DS & NDS

P1010032.jpg

P1010031.jpg

I still think you have a UN54E there - I say this because I bought a UN54 recently and that's what I recieved.

Every DS/NDS cup I have ever fitted has fitted flush to the BB shell, and the gap you have there would accommodate an E-type front mech on the drive side quite nicely...

I am not 100% sure but I seem to recall that when I fitted the bracket above with a plastic cup, the cup was slightly proud - I have checked but can't find any photos to back up my suspicions though :?

WD :D

The plastic cup I've just fitted to my Kili sits flush to the shell (Shimano call it an 'adapter').

The label on the BB in the photo above has 'EJ' next to the 73 > E-type mech?

Back