Uber Rare One #1 - 1987-90 [Craig] Cook Designs Mt. Palomar

jimi911

BoTM Triple Crown
BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Uber Rare One #1 - [Craig] Cook Design Mt Palomar

A bit of history ... give it a google for the full story (interesting stuff). The Cook Bros were a massive part of the west coast BMX and MTB scene from the onset. They would eventually sell off the company in the late 80s. Something went sour there and CQP (Cooks Quality Products) was born. Sometime around that time (87-90 ... conflicting info on that) Craig Cook founds CD Products and produces 40 conventional frames and a handful of half e-stays. This is one of the 40. Legit Craig Cook built frame.

Cook Designs Mt Palomar - True Temper.

Lovely frames with a super cool BB and even cooler FD pulley. You can see some of the old Cooks Alpine design in the newer design.

Yes ... there’s an Uber Rare #2 coming ;)

Very nice, another great frame you have there, and you say you have another!? :)

Looks really well made and some of those features look great. Are the outer parts of the bb just covers or is there bearings inside? Like the Craig Cook sticker too, and the colour :LOL: shame its a larger size, is the 2nd one a smaller size? :)

Mark

Re:

mkone":2720wjan said:
Very nice, another great frame you have there, and you say you have another!? :)

Looks really well made and some of those features look great. Are the outer parts of the bb just covers or is there bearings inside? Like the Craig Cook sticker too, and the colour :LOL: shame its a larger size, is the 2nd one a smaller size? :)

Mark

It’s really nicely made. The BB is a sorta like a cross between a fat chance and Klein pressed bearing BB. The bearings are pressed into a machined shell and those collars keep the Spindle in place.

The colour is super fun. Really glossy.

Apparently they came in 17” and 19”. This is a 19”. It has a 22” TT so it’s not really that big. When I mocked it up the fit seemed a lot like a Medium-Large frame. The head tube is long ... like a Brodie.

I don’t have a second one of these, but I did pick up another frame that was built in numbers ~40. Twas a good week :)

Re:

and… a Cook Bros racing crankset, stem and handlebar on it ? :LOL:

Re:

24pouces":23xdwqur said:
and… a Cook Bros racing crankset, stem and handlebar on it ? :LOL:

Prob not anything after 87 “Cook Bros”. I’m gonna guess it never came with it lol. Prob CQP cranks though. That’s probably ok :)

Back