Tubular tyre glueing -- advice needed!

I use Jantex tub tape, clean and straightforward. Pull a couple of inches of the backing tape off, mount and centre the tyre. Then carefully pull the backer until its removed. Blow up to maximum psi and after a few hours they will be well stuck. You certainly can't just push them off the rim when they're flat, its takes a fair effort to remove them.

Robbied196":3jc790u0 said:
I use Jantex tub tape, clean and straightforward. Pull a couple of inches of the backing tape off, mount and centre the tyre. Then carefully pull the backer until its removed. Blow up to maximum psi and after a few hours they will be well stuck. You certainly can't just push them off the rim when they're flat, its takes a fair effort to remove them.

I did my old tubs with Jantex tape and carry a spare roll (and tub) in my saddle bag "just in case". When I took the first set of tubs off the bike they were fitted with tape, which gave me a lot of faith in it!

As I read it the OP is sandpapering the tub (which some recommend) and not using any additional rim-tape. As Mentioned I'd stick on a layer of glue and put the tub on virtually straight away or abandon that and use tub-tape.

The final alternative is the red track adhesive (Based on shellac I think) that really is a glue..........

Shaun

Start again and clean the rim.

Glue the rim, have a cup of tea and half a packet of digestives.

Put a little bit of air in the tub so it takes shape. Put the tub on the rim.

Pump it up just like the Back eyed Peas say. Have another cup of tea and finish the biscuits off.

Go out for a spin and go like the clappers (fuelled by biscuits and tea) and don't try and peel it off till you get a puncture.

When you get a puncture you'll find out how much effort it takes to peel it off.

If you get a puncture halfway through your ride peel it off and place the replacement tub on the old glue. It'll stay in place.

Dont rough the rim or use tyre levers as you'll scratch your lovely rims. Don't glue the side of the rims.

That should do it, it works for me but I substitute coffee for tea.

destry":2u7ek3lr said:
Thanks for your replies... But what I'm really looking for is some information about what a properly glued on tub feels like! Can you lift it off the rim? Well, obviously you have to be able to in order to change the tyre... But how much effort is needed?

I didn't roughen the rim, by the way, just the base tape, which is the strip laid over the stitching...

Cheers, and keep 'em cooming!
Aha, that base tape. Excuses for the misunderstanding. ;) There is some real effort necessary to get the tube of the rim.

Just to add a bit more to the mix.....on final inflation go to about 30 PSI and hen spend a bit of time centering the tub on the rim, otherwise you will be staring down at a wavy line for the lifetime of then tub LOL

Shaun

i have just glued a new tub on the back wheel tonight and happened upon this thread...have been doing it this way since i was a teenager!

1. make sure new rim is totally clean
2. put a layer of glue on the rim
3. leave it to dry for a couple of hours (depending on air temp.)
4. put another heavier layer on
5. leave that to dry for a few hours
6. rough up the glue up with a suitable brush (i still have the old dunlop tin that i have refilled for the last 25 years with new glue - it came with the brush attached to the inside of the cap)
7. stretch the tub by placing your heel on it and pulling steadily upwards with full strength for twenty seconds or so (mind your back!)
8. start with the placing the valve end making sure it's at right angles to the rim in the valve hole
9. place wheel with tub side on the ground and pull and stretch the tub on to the rim taking care to avoid getting the sidewalls covered in glue (not always possible!)
10. inflate the tub until it takes it's shape and re-seat it feeling either side of the tub right round the rim to make sure it's seated properly
11. spin the wheel checking for high spots and off centre seating and re-adjust as necessary
12. leave it overnight to set and then blast it up to 120 psi etc and off you go.

i've never had a tub roll off in my life. (oh hell - that's me cursed it now!)

hope this helps!
craig

Back