Touring bike / frame. What to look for?

Re: Re:

gerryattrick":2x59f16s said:
I was going to recommend an Equilibrium, but assumed you wanted a specific touring frame. I have an Equilibrium and it is a great, relatively light bike, for riding long distances in comfort.

One issue that might be considered a bit of a disadvantage for a heavily laden bike is the caliper brakes, which are less common on full touring bikes, but I am sure that good, well adjusted calipers will cope perfectly well.

The idea at the time was to build up my ideal tourer, but you know what they say about never looking a free bike in the sprocket.

Limited experience thus far tells me that modern caliper brakes are still more powerful than 1990's canti's. I am sure both can be improved upon.

Would it be bad etiquette to sell the Equilibrium split the funds with your daughter and carry on down the road you was on. As you've still got the trek use that to get an idea of what you want in general then build your ultimate tourer a one off never to be copied with disc braked dynohub and all manner of goodness.
Off the peg or custom....

which ever have fun :cool:

kingbling":279gtkhb said:
Would it be bad etiquette to sell the Equilibrium split the funds with your daughter
It has been discussed. :mrgreen:

Actually the Equilibrium is pretty much everything I was thinking of, including Reynolds tubing frame, dynamo, Tubus rack and SKS mudguards.

I just need to get the gearing right for my feeble old legs and we'll be cooking.

kingbling":2qd1gf06 said:
It's threads like this that get me in trouble :facepalm: I have a Nigel Dean Tour Ace F&F in the cave I was going to sell to my brother, since reading this thread now maybe not :oops: I have in the last hour been hanging shimano LX parts on it. It was originally built for 27inch wheels but it can take 700c
You sure? Nigel Deans were for sale mid to late 80's by which time it was all 700c's. It's a touring frame, so clearances will be loose and those 27's may well fit, but I'm guessing it was actually made for your 700 x 38's with mudguards.
Having said that, you have the frame, and will have a better view & maybe what I'm saying is all cack.

Re: Re:

NeilM":21aiec74 said:
I'll have a look into that.

It is the new Tiagra 5700 chainset and when I looked on line I could not find anything but Shimano chainrings for it as it is 110mm BCD on all three rings.
I thought 110bcd only went down to to 34T. are you sure the 30T inner isn't 74bcd? Happy to be educated if I'm wrong?

NeilM":2jhjb2sw said:
I just need to get the gearing right for my feeble old legs and we'll be cooking.

Bet them legs arn't that feeble :LOL:

But it's got to be difficult to get the correct gearing when your not used to carrying the weight around. I intend to do the Lake's and Dales loop up here as its on my doorstep (like literally on my doorstep) and I know there is a lot of climbing involved and without building a bike and loading it up where is the benchmark to start from.

I could use that Dean but I can also get my hands on an on-one inbred frame and have the options of disc's. The more I think about it the more questions I'm asking myself.

Re:

I thought 110bcd only went down to to 34T. are you sure the 30T inner isn't 74bcd? Happy to be educated if I'm wrong?
Shimano are not exactly forthcoming with the technical info and I've not pulled the bike off the wall rack to check, but as far as I can see these are 4 hole rings that all fit into the same set of fixing holes.

I could use that Dean but I can also get my hands on an on-one inbred frame and have the options of disc's. The more I think about it the more questions I'm asking myself.

I have been watching all the video's made by a guy called Iohan Gueorguiev. He has been riding all over Canada and America and is now in South America. Most of his adventures have been on a Surly Troll 26", so steel frame and disc brakes are definitely a good call.

Iohan's web site: http://www.bikewanderer.com/

pigman":3dmke3pb said:
You sure? Nigel Deans were for sale mid to late 80's by which time it was all 700c's. It's a touring frame, so clearances will be loose and those 27's may well fit, but I'm guessing it was actually made for your 700 x 38's with mudguards.
Having said that, you have the frame, and will have a better view & maybe what I'm saying is all cack.

You may very well be right 700x38 is a good fit with plenty of room for mudguards the frame came to me with out wheels so I was assuming due to the ample clearance it was made for 27inch.

NeilM":3dmke3pb said:

Thats a pretty good website and I've only check out his reviews so far :D

Back