Touch up paint for retro bikes

The History Man":1m3z7ijc said:
It was Boots.

silly....

Model enamel does work ok-ish... but the new stuff from Airfix/humbrol is not quite the chemical makeup now as when we were kids (lower VOC's) most strong colours are ok but the lighter and especially white do not colour fix for long.

If you can get a close match from the Classic RAL chart then ring around powder coat companies as some can supply a touch-up paint to RAL for use on powdercoated repairs. this stuff is pretty tough.

Re:

I've had success finding a good match with nail varnish,fortunately only had to take the forks in the shop.
I generally use local auto paint suppliers.Most decent ones have a scanner to scan your paint and find the nearest option.Will also tell you the best colour of primer to use.Alternatively there's a myriad of sample books to go through if you want to go 'manual'.Fortunately they do separate books of colours ie reds,blues etc.
From memory a 100ml pot is around £12,14ml of Humbrol is around £3.If you're spraying they can supply an aerosol for the same price.They do spray much nicer than your average off the shelf paints.
Also can be mixed as a topcoat or a basecoat to be lacquered over.

Think I’ve found RAL 5018

Anyone used this and have an opinion on how similar it looks to my Muddyfox frame above please?

Thanks

End result!

it had some quite bad scrapes - and the colour is not perfect by any means - but it looks a 1000% better and I (and my daughter) are very pleased with it!

what you reckon?

i e since bought 4 more touch up paints for my other bikes - with some mixed - but generally ok results!

pictures to follow.

Attachments

• 7801F636-178A-430D-BED3-811A5C37CD4D.jpeg
    7801F636-178A-430D-BED3-811A5C37CD4D.jpeg
    810.2 KB · Views: 33
  • FD087E29-A40D-4B48-9790-D70DB371FFE4.jpeg
    FD087E29-A40D-4B48-9790-D70DB371FFE4.jpeg
    962.1 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
It gets better. I took my daughter along for the embarrassment. She got eyelashes as a payment for applying the nail varnish.

End result!

it had some quite bad scrapes - and the colour is not perfect by any means - but it looks a 1000% better and I (and my daughter) are very pleased with it!

what you reckon?

i e since bought 4 more touch up paints for my other bikes - with some mixed - but generally ok results!

pictures to follow.

I really like that.

The Mavic decal fits perfectly.

Back