Totally Retro?

I heard that if you dont sleep for long enough you actually start getting younger Neil so youll be alright.

I have a modern bike, it is made from steel, has cantis and a 1" head tube and was built in 1995, its very 'now'.

Since my 1st foray into retrobiking last year I have sold my modern P7 and now have a stable of retrobikes which are used almost daily and given a darn good thrashing, garage queens they are not :D
Sure things break from time to time, and I'm as likely to replace the broken part with a modern equivalent as I am a retro part, but should I totally trash a bike then for a few hundred quid I can seek out another retrobike, I'm through with paying £1k plus (and the rest!!) for the privilige of riding about on a modern bike.
Having said all that, next year I'll be looking for a 2nd hand (couple of years old) freeride style bike with several inches of bounce each end to tackle the occasional trip to a trail centre/bit of downhill action, but tbh I don't see it being used regularly, not nearly as regularly as my retrobikes, I guess I'm just and old skool xc rider at heart and have no real need for 180mm of suspension travel and humungous disc brakes :LOL:

FluffyChicken":et0tn86r said:
What's the point in getting the modern built up. The Dekerf and Cove already fulfil it's intended purpose ?

Good point. Dekerf not running at the moment so maybe I'll wait till that's back together and in proper use before making up my mind.

My two "Mountain" bikes are both over ten years old.

I do have a two-year old Road bike though, but that's my regular commuter, so I went for something 'modern' there, not to say it is any 'better' than a retro road bike, but I know next to nothing about retro roadies, so opted for a new 'un when in the market for a roadie!

Not that it has been a deliberate decision, but I realise I do not own a bike that was made this century ( I have about fourteen). Too tight to spring for a new one I suppose....

retro or not

2004 was my last modern purchase my specialized Epic it was bland but i spent some cash on it and it looks cool, my other modern was just the sum of the parts i had lying about after doing up the Epic just bought a frame and forks for them to hang on that's the fisher 2004 Marlin bought more for the colour than anything else

since finding this site though i have accrued a collection of Retro rides and to be honest they are way more fun

the Grisley & Alpinestar Cro-mega are by far my faves, especially the cro-mega as i used to own it in 1991 and managed to get it back i love riding it feels superb under you more than can be said for the Epic sometimes

so i would have to say i'm a recovering retro rider i had lost my way but i can now see the light

Totally retro

I've just made the decision to go totally retro in frame and braking at least.
Having returned to MTBing 18 months agio I've tried numerous newer bikes including full sus, hardtails and hybrids and whilst there appear to be mechanical advantages in some respects, I've not found anything I prefer to my 1997 steel Diamondback Apex frame.
I'm just about to hang all my best gear on the on the Apex and have 2 sets of wheels so that I can use it on and off road.
I am even going to ditch hydraulics.

Nothing modern for me yet, though I've been tempted by a 29er. The newest MTB I've ever owned was 1998. And I owned it after it was 10 years old :)

The most non-retro MTB I've ever had was my 1991 Yo Eddy, which was brand new and state of the art when I bought it.

.....I did build up a modern road bike this year though....

Back