Totally Retro?

RawBikeCo

Senior Retro Guru
How many of you are totally retro in as much as you don't own a modern bike??

I've always had a new bike every few years, be it a new frame and swapped parts or completely new bike. But my last frame was a Commencal Super 4 and its snapped (my first broken bike by the way!)

As my retro collection has grown, some are now in daily use, I'm wondering if I should bother replacing the above mentioned piece of shite!!

As it stands most of the parts are finding their way onto my 'retro modern' Dekerf. I use some of my M2's as a commuter and most of the time reach for my Cove when I go out at weekends with friends for a ride. Which always amuses when it smokes their modern bikes!

So should I raid the piggy bank for a replacement frame or just spend that money on more lovely retroness :cool:

Well, I have a modern bike which I use as a hard Thrasher.
Modern riding is a different style to some retro riding ( trail centres,downhill etc) so I can save the retro for more laid back (probably more enjoyable) riding

For me, I would rather break a modern frame than a much loved retro frame

True.......but I was thinking more along the lines of 'Modern Retro' for daily use as I have with my not so retro Cove and soon to be done Dekerf. Those frames are pretty bomb proof and putting new kit on it does'nt mean killing some NOS parts!

Was just wondering how many of you guys ride more modern bikes day to day.

'Modern' is a foreign country, they do things differently there.

I used to be an avid modern follower but stopped in 2006. Now I only own bikes that I like to ride regardless of age. The fact that the newest is nearly 15 year sold is purely a coincidence.

theredchili":1dswg0dc said:
Well, I have a modern bike which I use as a hard Thrasher.
Modern riding is a different style to some retro riding ( trail centres,downhill etc) so I can save the retro for more laid back (probably more enjoyable) riding

For me, I would rather break a modern frame than a much loved retro frame

my sentiments exactly.

I only use retrobikes, a 91 xizang for real mountainbiking, a 97 GT virage for long distance and a 92 corratec singlespeed for daily use like riding to work or the pub´s around. I didn´t ride my 2006 epic the last 2 years, it´s boring and heavy, nothing for the alptrails around here and to expensive for being stolen...

I've been mountain biking since 1988 and as such my bikes have adapted as new technology came along. A few of my current bikes are those which I've kept hold of and the majority of rest have been bought since finding Retrobike.

I try to ride all of my bikes and really appreciate the differences between them for what they are. I do like to keep my bikes period correct, even the more recent ones, that way they remain true to what they were and are. I like them all retro, old and modern.
I do agree with the fact that with most modern bikes you just don't get the value for money anymore.

My collection of complete bikes and unfinished projects can currently be broken down thus:
1 x 1988
1 x 1990
2 x 1991
3 x 1992
3 x 1993
2 x 1994
4 x 1997
1 x 1998
3 x 2005
1 x 2006

Longer term I hope to fill in the gaps and have at least one bike from each year of the 90's.

Yetinut":1y2f241p said:
How many of you are totally retro in as much as you don't own a modern bike??
That's me, that is.

Even my brain is retro.

I'm starting to think there should be a theme song, using most of the words and music from Aqua's Barbie Girl, but substitute "Retro" and "Boy". Some would see that as crass or a step too far, but it works for me.

I haven't had much sleep recently. Can you die from lack of sleep?

Back