Today's ROAD ride

stevelawson":1e2ywswv said:
Nice pics from Cumbria, I grew up on the edge of the Lake District and loved conquering the passes. My most recent trips 135km from Milton Keynes to Chipping Norton, and 50km home from Aylesbury avoiding main roads. Can't post pictures yet.

I was born in Aylesbury and grew up there me mum lives in MK did a lot of riding round them parts in me yoof :LOL: :LOL:

Re:

I'm in Scotland this week, on the Isle of Mull, my true home.

I'll be riding most days, but photos may have to wait as currently the combination of internet, new unfamiliar laptop and Photobucket are defeating me.

Anyway, the motivation to get me the 500 miles from home to Mull is the IoM cyclosportive, which I took part in today for the second time.

My rides leading up to the sportive had given me some confidence in my ability to beat my previous 3hrs 2 mins, for the 70k route, but I hadn't counted on the weather being quite as hot (23 to 27 degrees). I am NOT a hot weather person, it doesn't suit me, so in the end I was six minutes slower than last time.

The entry was just about maxed out at 274, this was after they added another 50 places. Nearly 200 of those did the 140k route, I'm not up to that kind of distance combined with the 1400m of climbing that goes with it, so the 70k 1140m 'short' route suited me.

The organisation was excellent, the only slight failing being no food at the first food stop (plenty of water though)... due the the hosts being held up by all the additional bikes on the route (Mull only has two roads). However, there was an additional water station at the top of the second big climb and an additional water / banana / chocolate bar stop just after the nasty climb away from the very popular Calgary bay (huge silver sand beach with free parking and very hot weather, can't imagine what the draw is).

All in all a very excellent day and one the Rourke handled with aplomb.

Scary moment of the day was seeing a 'large' fellow rider pull to the side on a climb, get off his bike and collapse onto all fours; "cramp?" I shouted, " grrrnnning arrrghhh" was the reply.. cramp it is then.

Best rider of the day has to be the young tall guy with flat pedals and no clips on an ancient creaky, squeaky, clanky old Raleigh (a sport maybe), complete with rust, straight bars and rusty chain.... he could really ride the thing too.

This years entry is the biggest they have ever had, so looks like I will have to book early the next time I come up.

Most other rides this week will be done on my Keith Coppell... it even has some custom bags, so I can take a few bits and pieces with me.

More soon.

Photos.

This gives a feel for the start of the 140k event, the 70k route which was riding started in a similar manner and hour later.

DSC_0103_zps13q2eozg.jpg

DSC_0106_zpstqoflmhc.jpg

DSC_0120_zpsktf0wzqx.jpg

Re:

Well, riding day two did not go at all to plan.

As well as my 853 Rourke, I bought my lovely and much ridden Keith Coppell with me. The reason for bringing The Keith is because the 531 frame rides a little softer and so I thought it would give me an easier time.

So, yesterday evening, with the midges only attacking me slightly, I pulled it from its travel bag, put it together, installed a frame bag and bar bag and tucked it back in the car. This morning, as soon as I set off I could feel something was not right with the rear mech as changes in both direction were slow and difficult.

I braved it out for ten miles, by which time it had started to rain (nice and warm). I stopped at the ferry terminal and had a tinker with the allen keys, but only made things worse. The long and short is the cable is dragging in the final section of outer, and I have no way of fixing it here.

So, ten miles back, in the pouring rain and with a random and much reduced set of gears.

After a nice hot shower I went off and did some touristy stuff, plus put some flowers on my grandparents grave, so I will try again tomorrow, using the Rourke.

Looking forward to some photos Neil - a beautiful part of the world :)

You may have to wait until I get back Simon. I have a new laptop, just a little Acer for holidays and such. I am a Mac user and the combination of Windows 10, McAfee and Photobucket are defeating every attempt I make to upload photos.

I love it here and would relocate in a minute, but what I do for a living is of little use here, so instead I just holiday every couple of years.

Surely, whilst up there, you are a McUser, not a Mac user........ I'll get my coat!

Re:

Yesterday's ride revisited.

Transferred the bags to the Rourke yesterday which was just as well as this morning it was still, warm and misty, therefore Midge City. They don't usually bother me too much but my legs must have been more temptation than they could bear, so it was a very quick load up and get going.

Pretty pleasant ride down to Craignure, I didn't try and exceed yesterdays time, as I knew I was on for a 50 miler today. Stopped briefly to see the first ferry of the day setting off. THE big topic on the island is the fact that CalMac have recently reduced fares and doubled the number of crossings by adding a second ferry. Some say it's great for business, some say it is bad for the roads. My experience is that a lot of drivers are less chilled and more like I come across on the mainland, they are in a hurry to get from place to place, as the last crossing is at something O'clock and they want to see everything. This kinda misses the whole point of coming to an island, and given that 90% of the roads here are single track, it must pump up the stress levels like crazy.

Anyway, having nearly been mown down a couple of times, mostly by HUGE camper vans, I rode past Lochdon, where my grandparents lived and off towards Glen More (the long Glen). This has the first of today's l o n g climbs, not steep, it is about 5%, but it is about 15k long.

Trouble is, to get there you have to cross two cattle grids. These are not your namby pamby flat steel grid type cattle grids, ohhh no, the grids on these b'stards are round and they are spaced just right so that as your front wheel is being thrown skywards, then the back one tries to follow, pushing your front wheel back down again to contact the grid with force, only for the whole cycle to be repeated. I counted my teeth and they were all still there, so that was a bonus.

Through the long Glen I saw not a single person, and it was only once I was rolling down the other side of the climb that I came across a car, heading the opposite way. Then it was the next two cattle gridididididid's and I was now on the flat run towards Pennyghael, where my tea stop was, 30 miles in.

When I got to the tea stop, there were about a dozen cyclists, male and female, all well tanned and all of an age to make me feel quite young. " Where have you come from?" "How long did it take?" "Ohh, I love your bike". My Saltire jersey drew much admiration too, even from a local builder in his van much later on.

After tea it was back the way I had come for a few miles, then left towards Loch Na Keal. The surface of the road here is pretty dire, and lots of traffic meant a lot of stop / starts for a while, not good for cooled down legs. Not to worry as I was soon into the even longer climb from Kilfinichen to Inch Kenneth (of Mitford sisters fame).

There used to be a forestry plantation to the left of the climb, this could make the whole road feel a bit hemmed in and claustrophobic, but not any more as all the trees have been recently harvested, so instead there is now a 15k plus climb at about 4 to 7% all the way. I did have to stop at one point, but only because a German driver with a Range Rover and caravan found it somehow impossible to stop, strange that, as the locals have no issue at all stopping for cyclists.

At the very top of the climb there was thick ground level cloud which was both cool and cold, if you get my point, wonderful to be totally cut off from the world around you. Then, what goes up and all that a wanging good descent down to the shores of Loch Na Keal which I then rode along side for the next eight or so miles (sorry, mixing strava k's with milestones). The road then bears right, past some estate buildings and highly overpriced holiday cottages (ex estate workers cottages) and after another half an hour or so I was back where I started, 87k and 765m of climbing. All in perfect cycling weather i.e. dry, cool but warming the whole time and with very little wind.

Tomorrow, something a little shorter, but much more brutal. Making the best of it, as the weather is set to be very Scottish on Friday.

The Rourke complete with bags.
DSCN1163_zpsejojgj85.jpg

On the way up.

DSCN1165_zpsfdtakllr.jpg

With a little way to go

DSCN1167_zpsowderthx.jpg

The back down again.

DSCN1169_zpsmayk1dcj.jpg

Nice view with me tea

DSCN1173_zps1zvy6nna.jpg

The next climb

DSCN1179_zpskq0mccbd.jpg

Something typically Scottish waiting at the top.

DSCN1180_zpsufwnh9pz.jpg

Through the cloud and on my way home

DSCN1184_zpscjfbgv0u.jpg

Re:

Last days riding today, due to the fact the weather is going to turn wet tomorrow, plus, my legs are getting weary.

I did this ride the last time I was here, and thought it was about 30 miles, but google said 40, so I set out early with a 40 mile ride in mind.

The first section was from Salen to Aros and from there across to Dervaig and it was absolutely fantastic, rolling roads, some nice climbs but nothing too troubling, then some excellent downhills and all in open Scottish Highland landscape with the feeling you are the only person within 100 miles. I think I saw two cars and a tractor, and that is pretty busy for Mull. Oh and I heard my first Curlew, always a call I associate with the many summers I spent up here as a kid.

At Dervaig I stopped for a jel, knowing I was about to tackle a fair old climb. I turned left towards Calgary and then left again signposted to Ulva, and up we went. I had hopes the slight cloud cover would hang about, but no the sun broke thought at the bottom of the climb and I boiled all the way up.

Half way up there is an Eagle Watch centre, with dozens of people carrying huge binoculars and camera's all milling about not quite knowing which way to look. They were the only people I saw until I got to the very top at which point a chap came the other way. I had stopped for a drink, to look at the stunning view and to wipe the sweat from my eyes. The chap stopped and we had a little chat about the views, the weather, how the season is going so far... that's the kind of thing that happens up here.

The descent, which I did not really see much of last time due to thick mist / cloud, was pretty hairy, lots of ruts and gravel and a few moment where I was glad for all those years of MTB'ing.

At the bottom of the hill I turned left and started the 15 mile last leg. This is alongside Loch Tuath and then Lock Na Keal, there are some spectacular views, but also lots of wildlife, and where there is wildlife there are wildlife watches, and these days they all seem to drive huge camper vans, worse, they seem to travel in little three or four van convoys, so whether they are coming up behind or towards you, the quick swerve in and out of a passing place which usually sees a vehicle safely past without losing too much momentum, turns into a full stop as the vans drone, drone, drone..... drone past. Worse, a couple of miles down the road they'll all be parked up, binoculars and camera's pointing in all directions, and you know full well that you are going to suffer the whole experience again at some point.

Anyway, the cycling was great, as there are a couple of reasonable 5% climbs to get your teeth into, and at the top of each is a new view across the loch.

And all too soon I was at the T junction where I was turning left back to Salen.

My time was not up to my last visit, but that's probably because I was out to enjoy the ride and the scenery rather than cover the ground as quickly as possible. Strava says is was pretty much 50k with 670m of climbing.

I'm off home tomorrow evening, so at some point over the weekend I'll post some photos.

Another nice day.

DSCN1189_zpsbhjwigle.jpg

At the top.

DSCN1192_zpskoyoigm7.jpg

A nice view to finish the week.

DSCN1201_zpsvmx9rrov.jpg

Back