To all you running modern set ups on old frames/bikes

Re:

1985 Overbury's. Snowdon April 2015. Picture says it all...

Attachments

• peak2.jpg
    peak2.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 310
If that picture doesn't say anything to anybody that see's it Unclejack then clearly they shoudn't be on the forum as to me it's grace strength and functionality all rolled into one ;) ..

legrandefromage":1d9px78v said:
Modern tyres are fantastic!

Their will always be certain old tyres that will be favourites to those of us that had the pleasure of using them bitd but admittedly tyres have come along way since the 80's and lightness strength and most of all grip can be had these days for a fair price with the aid of the tinternet so why i may agree on your comment my all time favourite tyre for riding over rough terrain is the old 2.0 Farmer Johns even though they weren't great when taking turns quickly on loose or slippery surfaces they at least absorbed the bumps a real treat on rutted n rocky trails ;) ..

They are no 80's cantilevers - cantilevers have been around almost as long as a bicycle has been invented.

Cantilevers are still alive and well in cyclocross and touring frames.

If I can, my everyday bikes, the ones that get covered in my local clay, they will run a disc of some sought up front. Nowt worse than metal and mud wearing down a nice rim.

The summer / dry bikes will run whatever happens to be on them at the time.

But I want drum brakes again...

On road bikes the biggest improvment is the compact gearing.
For most people 50-34 and 11-28 is perfect.
Riding my old 52-42 12-21 road bike I would consider changing it if it had not been like this for so long.
My current project is to fit 11 speed compact gearing to an older frame so I'll let you know.

Tyre compounds.

Geometry though is the biggest improvment, the stability of bikes is massively better than the 1990's stuff I grew up on. Hard to retrofit...

Back