Titanium Fat Chance Yo Eddy Medium 17.5 Ti

Its the luck of the draw, my Mountain Goat WhiskeyTown got outed twice on here but i ended up with frame, fork, stem, mavic headset, seatpost, M900 front mech and a set of new Avid arch rivals for just £190. Its a bloody nice rider too, going to do a 54km enduro on it on saturday :D

Fat chance

jonrock":2qxliwm7 said:
Thats a beauty and a really nice subtle build...
Is it me or does that weld on the dropout near the rear hanger look a little untidy?
Almost worth flying out to pick this one up... :LOL:
J

it surprised me too much.

And The welds near the BB are very thick and not performed .... as if they had been repaired!

GoldenEraMTB":3mf9p6ek said:
that's really nice, and it's just my size...I would trade my large WTB Ti Phoenix frame for it...if anyone is interested ;)

Just to be clear, are you saying that ideally you'd like for someone who really wants a Large WTB Ti Phoenix to buy this Fat on eBay and then trade it to you for your frame?

Re: Fat chance

bouddha":i1rkp80t said:
jonrock":i1rkp80t said:
Is it me or does that weld on the dropout near the rear hanger look a little untidy?
J

And The welds near the BB are very thick and not performed .... as if they had been repaired!

If you read up on the history of Fat Chance and how Chris Chance worked for years to develop a Ti MTB frame made to his unique specs, I guess he wasn't going for beautiful welds because that's exactly what the early Ti Fat Chance's looked like, no repair to the BB that's a sleeved section of larger Ti tubing welded over the actual downtube/BB joint so it's very over built. This was before they were able to custom order or custom make butted Ti tubing, but the bikes were supposedly made to emphasize the ride and I never heard anyone say that it sucked to ride a Ti Fat.
The later Ti Fats still had externally butted tubes but they were specially made such that if you run your hand over the tube near the welded joint you can feel it become a little thicker than it is in the center of the tube. That's what my Ti Fat is like and it's kind of cool to run your finger over the tube and feel the step up to the triple butted portion. Mine is a very late 90's NY State or Serotta made Ti Fat but to be honest it rides amazingly as it's the result of Chris Chance's genius as well as more modern Ti tubing and Ti welding techniques than were available in the early 90's.

fatmikeynyc":3khbvp75 said:
GoldenEraMTB":3khbvp75 said:
that's really nice, and it's just my size...I would trade my large WTB Ti Phoenix frame for it...if anyone is interested ;)

Just to be clear, are you saying that ideally you'd like for someone who really wants a Large WTB Ti Phoenix to buy this Fat on eBay and then trade it to you for your frame?

Hi Michael, that's exactly what I'm saying :D

fatmikeynyc":1ro81qkv said:
bouddha":1ro81qkv said:
jonrock":1ro81qkv said:
J

If you read up on the history of Fat Chance and how Chris Chance worked for years to develop a Ti MTB frame made to his unique specs, I guess he wasn't going for beautiful welds because that's exactly what the early Ti Fat Chance's looked like, no repair to the BB that's a sleeved section of larger Ti tubing welded over the actual downtube/BB joint so it's very over built. This was before they were able to custom order or custom make butted Ti tubing, but the bikes were supposedly made to emphasize the ride and I never heard anyone say that it sucked to ride a Ti Fat.
The later Ti Fats still had externally butted tubes but they were specially made such that if you run your hand over the tube near the welded joint you can feel it become a little thicker than it is in the center of the tube. That's what my Ti Fat is like and it's kind of cool to run your finger over the tube and feel the step up to the triple butted portion. Mine is a very late 90's NY State or Serotta made Ti Fat but to be honest it rides amazingly as it's the result of Chris Chance's genius as well as more modern Ti tubing and Ti welding techniques than were available in the early 90's.

exactly! There are a few articles on this here in the chat section, and over on the firstflight website (mombat).

GoldenEraMTB":2fphxe9x said:
fatmikeynyc":2fphxe9x said:
GoldenEraMTB":2fphxe9x said:

Just checking. :cool:

fatmikeynyc":3s0cl6mw said:
GoldenEraMTB":3s0cl6mw said:
fatmikeynyc":3s0cl6mw said:
GoldenEraMTB":3s0cl6mw said:

Just checking. :cool:

cool. :cool:

fatmikeynyc":qoavwnai said:
bouddha":qoavwnai said:
jonrock":qoavwnai said:
J

I was not talking about the weld over the actual downtube (of course, it's the Chris Chance's signature and genius) but the large and thick weld between the seatstay and the BB.
is this normal?
;)

bouddha":38mamaho said:
I was not talking about the weld over the actual downtube (of course, it's the Chris Chance's signature and genius) but the large and thick weld between the seatstay and the BB.
is this normal?
;)

???

Back