Titanium dillemma.. which to choose!? Update: picked AXIS TT

Re: Titanium dillemma.. which to choose!?

Bit late in the day to throw in suggestions but i'd have went for something as far removed from the normal as possible. Look around you, if youre seeing lots of the same thing go for something else

http://tritonbikes.com/

Got it home tonight :) Everything looks good though one bottle cage boss is missing (apparently not uncommon with Ti frame) Seller "forgot" about it until after I bought the frame and removed the electrical tape covering the bosses right in front of him. He did offer $20 back at least. That left a lil sour taste in my mouth but it's still a sweet frameset.. frame, fork, headset and bb weigh in at 6.39 lbs :D

fayw.jpg

looks like a cool bike - what sort of spec are you looking to build to? can you get the boss sorted?

marshole82":88u9vj67 said:
looks like a cool bike - what sort of spec are you looking to build to? can you get the boss sorted?

Will be very easy to Rivnut another insert in there for a few $$

Andy

from some quick googling, it sounds like putting in a new boss is pretty trivial using something called a "rivnut". On youtube there's a video of a guy installing bosses on a steel bike using a rivnut and a hand tool so it can't be too hard. On the way home I wasn't sure if it was going to be a big deal or not but now i'm not too worried

I have a deore XT M732 groupset that I'll probably put on for now, though in the future I might consider doing a more modern build. i figure those modern hollow bottom brackets have got to be lighter than the old square taper ones. I kinda bought this on a whim, having just flipped a few bikes for a fair profit, so I don't have any specific plans for it. I'd love to dress it with full XTR m900 but that could get expensive.. gotta flip more bikes :p

As I have mentioned in the "lets see some Diamondbacks" thread I was the warranty manager for the U.K. importer when the Axis TT was current. We did have a number of issues with loose bottle cages and they were all cured by using the "rivnut" method. Oddly we also had the same issue with cheap aluminium frames that I suspect were made from melted down saucepans........

As for the build mine uses a mix of retro and more modern bits as it is a bike for riding not for show. The only thing I would steer clear of are forks longer than 80mm travel. I have thought about a rigid carbon fork but then again I don,t like carbon!!!!!!

thanks, I'm going to be looking into the rivnut thing.. seems like less than a $20 fix so I'm not too worried about it.

and yeah the carbon fork i'm on the fence about.. there's a guy locally with a tange prestige fork that I want to pick up, but not sure if it'd be lighter than the carbon. still might grab it since my 95 Apex could use a rigid fork, that is if it's retired from bike polo duty

BTW.. any help on the year guys? Three cables on the drive side top tube, no snake stays.. 93?

frantik":1mj40yb2 said:
thanks, I'm going to be looking into the rivnut thing.. seems like less than a $20 fix so I'm not too worried about it.

and yeah the carbon fork i'm on the fence about.. there's a guy locally with a tange prestige fork that I want to pick up, but not sure if it'd be lighter than the carbon. still might grab it since my 95 Apex could use a rigid fork, that is if it's retired from bike polo duty

BTW.. any help on the year guys? Three cables on the drive side top tube, no snake stays.. 93?

93 it is, then.

Re: Titanium dillemma.. which to choose!? Update: picked AXI

for some reason i thought the 93 came with a threaded headset..

Back