Titanium dillemma.. which to choose!? Update: picked AXIS TT

frantik

Retro Guru
Hey Retrobikers... I need your advice. I'm interested in a Ti MTB, and right now there are TWO options available to me locally.

First is an unknown Ti frame, fully built bike with Cook Bros cranks, sram 9.0 RD, deore xt Fd, and some other good quality parts. Guy is asking $450.

00J0J_iAYPUreIigy_600x450.jpg

The other is a Diamondback Axis TT frame with a carbon fork

00B0B_4EHHbVvmRzt_600x450.jpg

Guy is asking for best offers but said his ballpark is $400-500 and is flexible.

To me the full bike seems like it might be a better deal.. but I'm kinda emotionally attached to Diamondback, and a Axis TT is one of my grail bikes in a way. The Diamondback also has a 1-1/8 headset which means more options down the line vs the 1" threaded

So which would you grab?

Re: Titanium dillemma.. which to choose!?

The one you REALLY want...........irrespective of bits attached to it, pick the one you will still smile at in 6 months...... ;)

You have three Diamondbacks so that suggets you like brand, and after all the Axis TT is their ultimate model.
It looks to be a 20" frame, take a look at mine in the "lets see some Diamondbacks" thread that is that size. I have
had it for twenty years and still love it. It will not take long forks, big tyres or disks but you can still run an 80mm
suspension forks and a 2.10 rear tyre. I expect the other unknown bike would end up disappointing you, I am certain
the DBR wound end up your pride and joy.

thanks guys.. I just made an offer on the Axis TT :) I wasn't sure if my emotional connection to Diamondback was clouding my judgement but it sounds like I should definitely go with the DBR!

I've a tt myself and love it. Sandvik built as well so it's quality. If you need a set of decals, I bought a set if repro ones but ended up getting some custom decals in black, so have a spare set.

Buy both, strip parts of the first and sell the frame. Build the second :)

Andy

I'm set to pick up the DBR tomorrow.. and turns out the fully built bike was sold tonight so i guess the DBR and I were meant to be together in the first place :D

Back