Tips to get my stuck seatpost out...

Try a little hot or cold treatment. A towel wrapped around the seat tube and covered in boiling water plus soaking in penetrating oil and brute force often helps. Be careful with hot water....

SP

Splatter Paint":2clyoiaw said:
Try a little hot or cold treatment. A towel wrapped around the seat tube and covered in boiling water plus soaking in penetrating oil and brute force often helps.

SP

This, plus a pipe freeze kit on the post itself has worked for me.

Spaltter Paint and Andy R are on the right track I believe. I would do the HOT towel on seat tube and spray post with CO2 (keyboard cleaners like "Air"--no really, thats one of the brand names of compressed air here in States. Hard to believe. First they bottle water and sell it, and now they can up some air and sell it. Pretty soon we'll have to lease the ground we walk/ride on.....

Try compressed air and be careful--it is usually cold enough to cause instant frostbite on digits!

It's not so bad! All you need is some way to hold either the post or bike frame steady and some means of applying enough leverage to the post or the frame

The slightest hint of movement and you have it beat - The easing oil soak will help enormously...

But as already stated in various bits and bobs, these two methods are the KINGS

1) Secure the flats of the post in a bench vice and unscrew the frame from the post

- Grab the frame and twist it back and forth about the post

- This is what I do

0r...

2) Keep the bike fully assembled, saw the top off the seat tube and fit a quill stem and bars extremely securely into the post (This is the LGF method I believe?)

- straddle the bike and twist this apparatus around until you can unscrew the post from the frame

- This is the way to go if you can't get access to a workbench mounted vice

Neither case destroys your paint, neither takes aeons

I also gently open up the collar/neck of the seat tube a little with a blunt aluminium drift

Latest posts

Back