Timax titanium frames???

timax

Dirt Disciple
Hi, I'm trying to track down owners of the original UK Timax titanium frame from the 90's. Over a short period over 90 frames where put out there either by sale or prototype.

Basically the frame is quite different to most Ti frames as all main tubes are profiled, tapered and with variable internal and external walled tubes. So all in all, in style it looks like a steel frame but made of a Titanium, manganese and aluminium alloy. They where all natural Titanium finish(no paint), but had peened finish that was a part of the finishing process at Rolls Royce in Derby (basically how they finish the turbine blades off in jet engines). They also had a distinctive but very neat faint lines where the shaping process had left it's marks.

If anyone has any leads to any owners it would be fantastic!

Cheers

Timax

sounds interesting but sadly i cant help. welcome to the forum though

Thanks for the welcome :D

Most people that may remember them would be from the era when Steve Peat was still riding cross country at sports level. Riders that raced on them where people like Andrew titley, Jamie Harper, Dan Rodriges, Philip Addyman, Mick Daley, and a few others... got great reviews in mtb pro and mbr mag.

:D them where the days

A Timax frame is on my on the down low radar list, from what I've read they are superb frames and virtually unknown.

I've still got one..but it's an early prototype.. so a bit untidy in places. my original one was stolen from my work place. :cry:

I'm trying to track down a few for some mates who have ridden mine and fallen in love with it, and that's against some pretty tough competition.

Understanding what was involved with the frame has also now shown me that it would be cost prohibitive to make it now. You would be looking at a frame price in the thousands. Odd as most of the time it looks like its only worth a few hundred :D

But then again the one I'm on is about 15 years old and has had five owners and been raced as far as the other side of the world. Geometry is a bit dated but some 80mm travel forks have brought it back to life.

You never know...

:cool:

timax":2w9x85ei said:
Geometry is a bit dated but some 80mm travel forks have brought it back to life.

You never know...

:cool:

the geometry is NOT dated - new stuff is just wrong wrong wrong...

And in so many ways. These bike designers need to think of some way of selling you a new bike.

We resprayed an old Ovebury's a few weeks back and built it back up... It was a total joy to ride.

Same with an old steel Marins... The hand built in the states ones...

Did a M2000 Cannondale a few months before that... superlight and quick.

But on this site I'm sure you have heard all this nostalgic drivvel before :oops:

Back