For Sale Ti Raleigh 753 now half price £1250

Has an SB frame number. Can just make out 51 on nds. As @Nob said drop outs don't look right. Edit has a Raleigh America head badge. Did the SBDU put them on export frames?

View attachment 688787
Looks like it's SB8291, so a later frame with Cinelli lugs and bottom bracket, non drilled dropouts is normal for later 753 frames. US export market head badge is correct and may have originally been in Team USA livery. 477f29a0229638b886dbdde07353465b--s-raleigh-bikes.jpg

Sorry to hear about your Dad. Fine taste in bicycles though.

Thank you for saying that.

Dad and his brother road alot, in the 50's, as teenagers. Dad stopped riding at some point but got back into it when i took it up, in the early 80's.
I think the Raleigh came from a chap he worked with and it wouldn't of been that old. 753 was all the rage then and i thought it was the bees compared to my Carlton. Maybe, if it is still mothballed in the loft, i will be able to set it free. Bizarrely; i never had a go on it when we were both cycling.

Thank you for saying that.

Dad and his brother road alot, in the 50's, as teenagers. Dad stopped riding at some point but got back into it when i took it up, in the early 80's.
I think the Raleigh came from a chap he worked with and it wouldn't of been that old. 753 was all the rage then and i thought it was the bees compared to my Carlton. Maybe, if it is still mothballed in the loft, i will be able to set it free. Bizarrely; i never had a go on it when we were both cycling.
It would be the one of the best ways to remember your Dad. 753 is a fantastic tubeset. I would certainly like to see the before and after.

It would be the one of the best ways to remember your Dad. 753 is a fantastic tubeset. I would certainly like to see the before and after.

I hope it is there and if it is i will post all details here for the SBDU knowledge base. It will need the gearing sorted as i know he tried to get "brifters" to work. I have no idea what make and what the mechs were but there were compatability issues as he said it wouldn't work.
Failing health put an end to getting it sorted and i was living abroad so couldn't help out. It was also re-furbished at some point, but by whom and in what way i have no idea. All i know is it was to look original and when i saw it last it looked right. I will leave it as is, even if it is a bit wrong, as it was his pride and joy.
Maybe i can bring it up with mum come next summer. Just got to get this first crimbo out of the way and things will start settling down.

I confess to having one and I love it, smoothest riding Raleigh I have. Others are 82 Team Replica, 83 Professional, RAM 653, Castorama 653, RRA12.
View attachment 688615
Wow, what a fantastic collection of top end Raleigh's, looking like they are all set up correctly and are regular riders. What's really great is your bikes have similar geometry, riding position and weight as the Ti 40 so a fair comparison can be made. I enjoyed watching the launch film with Joop and you rate it as highly as Joop. What really saddened me and makes the release of the Ti 40 even more poignant Joop was knocked off his bike in Paris on the 40th anniversary of his victory on route for the 2020 finish and press conference at the Champs Elysees. Joop was very lucky and spent a few days in hospital but is still feeling the affects of the crash, we're all getting older and don't bounce so well. Any way, looks like I missed my chance so thinking about building up my 83 SB 753 with 9-10 speed Dura Ace so I can run indexed down tube shifter's. This is my collection which includes three 753 Dynaflite's, you'll have to post your bikes up in reader's road bike section..👍 IMG_20220519_183131_HDR.jpg IMG_20220519_183819_HDR.jpg IMG_20220519_183825_HDR.jpg IMG_20220519_183832_HDR.jpg IMG_20220519_184114_HDR.jpg IMG_20220519_184125_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, what a fantastic collection of top end Raleigh's, looking like they are all set up correctly and are regular riders. What's really great is your bikes have similar geometry, riding position and weight as the Ti 40 so a fair comparison can be made. I enjoyed watching the launch film with Joop and you rate it as highly as Joop. What really saddened me and makes the release of the Ti 40 even more poignant Joop was knocked off his bike in Paris on the 40th anniversary of his victory on route for the 2020 finish and press conference at the Champs Elysees.
Thanks, yes all ridden except the 82 which I've just renovated. I'm a member of the Ti Vintage Club GB and some of the riders know Joop and he's on the mend thankfully. Yes the 40th got slammed for its tig welded dropouts which look like they'll last forever and apparently can't be filed down for some inexplicable reason. I'm lucky to have Giuseppe Villata and Losas and a De Rosa which are definitely a step up on the Raleighs but I have a real fondness for them

Thanks, yes all ridden except the 82 which I've just renovated. I'm a member of the Ti Vintage Club GB and some of the riders know Joop and he's on the mend thankfully. Yes the 40th got slammed for its tig welded dropouts which look like they'll last forever and apparently can't be filed down for some inexplicable reason. I'm lucky to have Giuseppe Villata and Losas and a De Rosa which are definitely a step up on the Raleighs but I have a real fondness for them
I believe the rear dropouts and rear brake bridge were tig brazed which is a non fusion process at a much lower temperature unlike tig welding. This gives a much stronger connection where extra strength is needed over a sweated solder joint. Some say it's ugly and unfinished but tig brazing unpainted is a thing of real beauty..😍

c47903_34c02439d79044808a7bd106f06ce990_mv2.jpg 19.jpg Screenshot_20221106-072813~2.png

I believe the rear dropouts and rear brake bridge were tig brazed which is a non fusion process at a much lower temperature unlike tig welding. This gives a much stronger connection where extra strength is needed over a sweated solder joint. Some say it's ugly and unfinished but tig brazing unpainted is a thing of real beauty..😍

View attachment 688931View attachment 688932View attachment 688934
I really like that. Looks odd on the Raleigh. Raleigh should have marketed it as a tribute bike with 10 speed 29t groupset that brakes well and has a taller headtube fir a relaxed geometry. Unfortunately its been compared to an SBDU which is a completely different beast.

Back