Ti MTB - w/serious weld beads!

Titan Frame

I'm the guy who's selling this frame. All these Titans have the weld in the middle of the headtube. I just picked another one up and it is a finished frame minus the paint and two inches bigger. You can see in the head tube where it has been machined. Looks like they ground them down mechanically after being welded. It's just the way the frame is manufactured. From what I understand these frames have withstood the test of time so they are sound. (; As far as the welds being Pidgeon shit, they are good welds with no sharp beads or gaps. The discoloration makes them look worse than they are. They are both still for sale if anyone is interested. Thanks

No not really. Our Canadian friend says his frame was never welded across the head-tube.

The frames McCracken found may be prototypes/early versions or they might have been modified. Perhaps someone tried to adapt them for use with suspension forks or 1 1/8 steerers.

That doesn't necessarily make them "uninteresting" or not worth the price the seller is asking, but let's try to find the _real_ story behind these frames rather than just rely on guesswork.

You have to look carefully at the head tubes that have been machined. The grinding is done over a wide swath and then painted. It's not eazy to see but it is visable. One of the guys at the warehouse has been working for various bike manufacturers for his entire adult life. I'd say he's in his mid fifties and this is the explaination he gave me. It seems to make sense. But untill we talk to the engineers who really knows. Oh, he also said it has something to do with the "Butting" process. I'll try to post a pic of the one I just picked up so you can see what I'm talking about. By the way these frame do have 1 1/18th inch head tubes.

the plot thickens :?

And i cant quite imagine how the 'butting process comes in here,wouldn't they be welding the thinned section :?

Not doubting anyone just like to know these things

Found an ad. MBA April 93, page 206

I dont know what "steer tube with unique interlocking tube frame construction" means, perhaps it has something to do with the weld. But it does say 1 1/4" in the ad.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 368
Well, the center of the head tube ends up being noticably thinner than the ends once it has been ground down. Don't ask me.

Attachments

• head tube.jpg
    head tube.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 362
Ok I swore I'd never join this site but damn it, the seller's making up crap about the company.

#1 Titan was an established company with a long history of making titanium frames. They're responsible for teaching the welders at Sandvik's Sport division how to weld up bicycle frames among other things. The welds on the Titan frames always looked a bit rushed compared to the nice Tig-fillets of say Merlin or Litespeed, but they were never the splotchy/ground down things on those ebay frames.

#2 They were doing butted seamless drawn titanium tubing on their frames (the headtubes happened to be externally taper butted as it happens) and would not have had to join to pieces of tube together to make a butted tube. The seller's "expert" is a moron if that's how he thinks you make butted tubes. Titan Ti Compe frames, in the largest 20.5" size are 3.5 pounds INCLUDING the Titan Ti BB and that's after they were painted to boot.

#3 The pricetag for the frameset was $999 as reported (merlin frames alone were well north of that in 1994), and a full bike as tested in the July 1994 Bicycling magazine was $1899 with Deore LX, a Showa suspension fork, and Titan Ti pedals, Bar and Bottom Bracket and seatpost (they were the only titanium 26.6 posts made).

#4 The production frames came sized for 1 1/4" steerer tubes/headsets, the BB shells are unthreaded and take a proprietary press-fit cup cartridge bearing BB with a Ti spindle which uses lock-collars on the ends to hold it in place (think old FatChance/Merlin frames), and otherwise were pretty normal in part sizes (26.6 post, 28.6 bottom pull front derailleur, 135mm dropouts).

#5 The cable housing guides basically clipped into the frame along the toptube for the brake cable, and the downtube they mounted into a bottle cage eyelet similar to the way those plastic guides fit under BB shells of many frames. The stays got welded in guides and I don't know why Titan did it that way but I had to improvise a mount for my downtube as my frame didn't come with the factory guide piece (nor the Ti post, pedals, or bar... but it DID the BB fortunetly).

#6 Production frames were also painted, in a green tinted metallic satin paint which faded into a solid green headtube with neon pink and green decals OR a polished finish with neon pink and blue decals. The one tested by Bicycling had the polished finish and mine has the painted finish.

As I explained to mtbmaniac when he PM'ed me on mtbr, the likely reason for these ground headtubes, welded toptube guides and overall crappy welds on those Ebay frames is someone took a titan frame and tried to modify it to take a 1 1/8 steerer suspension fork of longer travel than they originally came spec'ed for (around 2" travel). Titan certainly wouldn't have done the frames like that as they could simply have ordered a different size of headtube (their BMX Ti frames for example all used the standard 1" steerer sized headsets that all BMX bikes did) and it would have been one seamless tube.

Now for some pictures of my frame and bike... (which I need to update as I've changed its setup back to knobbies and a triple-chainring)

tiframe.jpg

uglyti1.jpg

uglyti3.jpg

uglyti4.jpg

Incidently as I did thoroughly examine mine when it was a bare frame, I'd have noticed weld marks inside the headtube of it having been joined together from two pieces.

Back