Thumbies... Simple like paul?

tee-one

Senior Retro Guru
Ive been realy taken by those paul thumbie mounts.

But im not so keen on the price of paul parts.

Anyone know of a good alternative for a mount?

Only need the one due to attempting 5 speed.... :shock:

The mounts off STD rapid fires and the like have the same hole spacing but you need to run them sans cable adjuster.

I have these on a couple of my bikes...

...look good and work a treat - as you would expect from Dura Ace :cool:

Though reading your post again properly, this may be more what you're after?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I didn't realise they sold the clamps individually; have to keep and eye out on the 'bay for some reasonably priced shifters now!

Tad more expensive that the SA shifter in my link above though ;)

As you are after a 5 speed solution, why not use an old school friction shifter?

SunTour XC Power. These are awesome and can be had for peanuts. They have a ratchet for 'super accurate actuation' (SAA) and some come with a handy rubber thumb snood to avoid 'accidental moisture actuation' (AMA).

Perhaps more usefully, they can be removed from your bars easily without having to take off your grips and brake levers.

Ahh SunTour - how I miss you......

OOOh lots of cool options, I like.

Realy like the SA one.. But for some reason, Although im the worlds biggest SA fan. I dont want it so much on this build....

The crank might possibly be due to cost... But the shifter is somthing ill be looking at often...
And itll niggle me.. :LOL:

Suntour.... Why didnt i think of that?

Theres a huge possibility i still have some of these in the loft.
Had a couple of bikes fitted with them. One being a big old raleigh in team colours. And a early saracen i rode to and from work for a couple of years.... Untill it got written off.... So possibly up there in a box :D

Tokyo Fixed sell the road version Paul Thumbie for 26mm bars for £27. I might get one and run it with a 22.2mm-25.4mm spacer for my 1x10 Specialized Enduro, I think the 0.6mm difference should be ok...

Back