Trek marketed these as sports tourer bikes because they had room for at least 28c tires and fenders and sometimes 32c. These are highly regarded bikes in the US. They had a tough as nails Imron paint job. By and large most of the Treks I've owned had great looking paint jobs. Trek set out to compete with the top end European and Japanese bike companies by making first rate hand built bicycles. The 700 series were their top end bikes. The vintage Trek site you linked to earlier has all the information you might need about the bike.

Nice score on this and beautiful bike. With a name like Trek, you almost think this could have been a Dutch bike, :).

Trek marketed these as sports tourer bikes because they had room for at least 28c tires and fenders and sometimes 32c. These are highly regarded bikes in the US. They had a tough as nails Imron paint job. By and large most of the Treks I've owned had great looking paint jobs. Trek set out to compete with the top end European and Japanese bike companies by making first rate hand built bicycles. The 700 series were their top end bikes. The vintage Trek site you linked to earlier has all the information you might need about the bike.

Nice score on this and beautiful bike. With a name like Trek, you almost think this could have been a Dutch bike, :).
Thanks for that insight. It could very well be a Dutch brand name, I agree. The paint job is far from pristine, but it does seem tough.

Last edited:
Looking at the bike today, I thought that for a 1981 frameset the details, lugs and fork crown are understated, form follows function. Graphics and headbadge have an industrial look. May have been forward looking at the time.

Finally did a longer ride on it. The last time was cut short, because the seat clamp wasn't tight enough. It is a lovely ride. There is no impression that I am riding a frame that is 3 sizes too small. The moustache is extremely comfy and the geometry is quick and stable. Braking is good really. And I bought a Selle Monte Grappa saddle for it.

DSC_0028.JPG DSC_0027.JPG DSC_0026.JPG

Back